New Octopus Cosy 6kW HP...

sharpener

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Bet you could play a mean game of Solitaire on it.

Did it have a 3.5" floppy slot to boot it up.

Please! Booting from floppy was for peasants! When you rolled one of these it booted from it's 200Gb hard drive whilst you sipped your morning latte.

As a side note the typical noise levels generated by those things was around 50db. Not far off where some of the quieter HPs are now. 

1 minute ago, sharpener said:

Modern or what? DEC PDP-15 needed booting from paper tape!

I remember complaining to my dad how long some app or other was taking to run on my computer and he replied his first interactions with a computer required the program to be put on punched tape and then physically posted to the comoutt facility, where it would eventually be run and an output tape posted back. Round trip was about a fortnight if you were lucky. 😁

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, embra said:

In my humble opinion, the design is gopping. Looks like a jukebox for Barney the dinosaur. I certainly wouldn't have one anywhere near my property.

Exactly.

They know who they're selling to.

They're selling to folks who would buy a Toyota Prius or a Nissan Leaf. Cars that were deliberately designed to be ugly in order for their owners to make a statement.

They're selling to the king of the housing estate. The kind of person with shiny white teeth, a spray tan, and a BMW on hire purchase or perhaps Telsa on hire purchase sat on the driveway.

Take lessons from James Dyson/Chris Bangle; or Elron Muskolini / Donald Trump. (1) Make people talk about something that is deathly boring by painting it in outrageously loud colours. (2) All publicity is good publicity; especially if it's something easy to change and already on the roadmap for Gen2.

(e.g. leaving a nice obvious fail for the MOT tester in the hope the don't spot the floor being made of cardboard freshly welded in using silicone sealant and protected with underseal...)

The unit will have some nice features knowing Jason. Octopus will then install them badly and that's just fine as long as the el-cheapo electricity offered in the first couple of years compensates for the poor performance. ("free supercharging for life" or "zero bills homes" style - where the volumes are so small they don't matter later or the smallprint is that you pay nothing now and lots later etc)

Lots of value for Octopus, as the UK's largest retail electricity supplier, in locking in future demand that they can hedge more cheaply; and locking in demand response that they can play the arbitrage market with using the controls that will be doubtless compulsory as part of the cheap tariff on offer. They just need to not take a bath on the initial installs. 🙂

On 15/09/2023 at 00:07, Lee33 said:

Jesus Christ they look like the bins in McDonald’s car parks, so much for trying to convince people to switch to ASHP

Ah but if it appeals to the right people... my (young) other half on seeing the purple colour with a happy octopus on it: "Oh that's cute!".

So that's one barrier gone to getting them installed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sharpener said:

Do I infer that you have actually got one ot these things then?

No, mine’s a Panasonic Aquarea L. I was just highlighting that an R290 ASHP can reach higher temperatures effectively without back-up heating. If they’re stating a ceiling of 78C for this then we’ll have to see when they release the tech specs yet how they’re getting the extra 13C.