Second hand front door.

Tony K

Evening. 

I am considering buying a second hand front door for my SB. I am aware that the door must comply with the various relevant building regulations, but I can work that out. 

The great unknown for me is what is involved in getting the door fitted in the opening. The doors rarely come with frames. 

Is this a simple job for a chippy, or is it more complicated than that?!

Thanks 

Should be a simple job if the door is a reasonable match for the opening. Not all doors can be cut down without them coming apart. It can also look a bit odd if the frame isn't same width all the way around.

Remember you probably need  a level entry threshold to meet building regs.

A decent make of front door will come with a matching frame incorporating necessary seals etc.

We fitted a second hand (free) Sweedoor like this one https://www.doorswindowsstairs.co.uk/product/swedoor-ashby-external-door-with-grid/

as the pedestrian door to our garage, where air tightness and insulation was not as important as a main door to the house.

Nothing wrong with fitting a used door, but it needs a lot more thought and faffing than fitting a new one. If I still did jobs like this I would want double for fitting a used door (Unless it came still in its frame and had been removed in one piece)

6 hours ago, markc said:

Nothing wrong with fitting a used door, but it needs a lot more thought and faffing than fitting a new one. If I still did jobs like this I would want double for fitting a used door (Unless it came still in its frame and had been removed in one piece)

That's interesting. As far as I can see, the bulk of available second-hand doors do not come with a frame so I presume the chippy would be making one.

@markc, What sort of time do you think you'd spend doing a job like this? I ask so that I have some sense of how expensive it will be, based on a day rate.

@ProDave, would you expect that, by having a chippy make a new frame, I would be providing the necessary seals, airtightness etc?

11 minutes ago, Tony K said:

@ProDave, would you expect that, by having a chippy make a new frame, I would be providing the necessary seals, airtightness etc?

I don't know.  Mine came from the next door neighbour changing all the original wooden doors and windows for UPVC.  I guess i was lucky that the front door came out with the frame intact.

I also have a pair of French doors that came out with the frame chopped up.  One day they will be a pair of doors on a shed, but when I do that I will have to make the frame for them.

Very difficult to put a time on an unknown but let’s say we are looking at fitting a new hardwood door, as a SB’er you are going to be picky and scrutiny everything so we need to allow 3-4 hours.

now let’s say you buy a similar door used, how well was it fitted previously? Do hinge pockets need packing or filling? Is it square? - possibly needs trimming on all sides to square it up, is it the right way? R/L opening? Allow a day faffing and fitting.

basically, if you get a good door for free you should be ok to save a few £, but I would never pay for a used door unless it was an extra large one or something special

• Thanks 1