Can we improve the ashp insulation?

saveasteading

The ashp works fine, albeit not in the winter yet.

I'm just thinking that this setup is going to leak a lot of heat from the feed and return pipes.

There is a nice insulated surround to each copper pipe, with velcro closer.

But I'm thinking this is handling the entire energy and so is the most critical area for attention. 

The stopcocks stick out too, providing a heat sink.

On the other hand, this assembly is already impeding air flow and we shouldn't add much to that.

The copper pipes connect at ground level to the proprietary red and blue pipes in insulated duct thingy ( which has  a name) which goes under the footings. The other duct seen here vertically is a spare, and can be removed.

We know it needs weeding but internal construction of phase 2 takes precedence.

20230829_105826.jpg

There is an exposed length of silver pipe at the bottom of the photo (looks like it may be a different in reality)

I think the velocity across the short section of pipe should help, the water being in a exposed section for a second or so.

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Can you move them

yes.,a little bit once the empty duct is cut back. That will free the passage of air for fan and radiator efficiency , and also reduce the flow of ambient air over the heated pipes.

It feels though as if we should be able to wrap the pipes another time, with something that wont ping off.

It will need to be retained as it sits naturally where it is now. A bit of stick will do it.

I can't see that the velocity affects overall heat loss.It allows that module of water to escape with reduced heat loss, but it will be back again soon.

Thinking about it, any loss of heat from the passage of air  will pass immediately into the heat exchanger and be captured again, and again...and again.....