Barn Owl Box

Onoff

My friend in Oakland .CA sent me these pages on building a barn own box I thought might be of use here:

http://www.scvas.org/pdf/cbrp/BuildingBarnOwlBoxes.pdf

He has a rat and gopher problem which "his" owls aren't coping with though doing a fine job. Mainly it's the gophers so he's just got some traps too.

A neighbourhood alert went round as they have a mountain lion on the prowl so he got himself a nature cam. He found where it was getting under his fence and got one photo of it. He's also captured this shot of raccoons trying to get into the owl box:

IMG_0085.jpg.356fcf4351b594e19c7a3254032fe25d.jpg

The mountain lion has some advantages as he's finding raccoon carcasses!

And I'm worried about a badger digging the lawn up! :) 

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

One thought I had, are barn owls over there the same size as ours?

You're right the UK barn own is smaller. Here is a link to instructions and dimensions of an owl box suitable for the UK.

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-nestbox/owl-boxes-for-trees/

Edited by Triassic
Typo

Here's what we used, we got ours through the Barn Owl Project run by the Essex Wildlife Trust. It then gets monitored by them and then, as happened this year when we had 4 chicks born, they all get ringed and registered.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a0cdc121b29d9cca482e3a47261cc0bb.JPG

We had a roost in a barn adjacent to the one we developed, so knowing we'd disturb them we put up a couple of boxes in an adjacent hedge row. The Owls used one of the boxes as a breeding site in the second year it was up.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...