Chinese slate

Hi All,

Hoping to get some feedback on Chinese slate from those that have used it.

I thought I would be going the route of Spanish slate but after getting various samples and looking at ever increasing costs I have found myself getting very tempted by the Chinese offering. It really comes down to the fact that it is slightly darker (which is what I want without paying silly money) and cheaper than the Spanish offering. It does seem smoother and I can’t decide if I prefer that or not…but I guess that is just personal taste.

There would be about a £900 difference for the amount I need, which will go a long way towards the other increasing costs we are facing.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

It is making me think though…I work in manufacturing and the same was said 10 years ago about the type of products I developed in Europe but now that view has very much changed and many chinese suppliers produce very good products. I wonder if your roofers comments were justified or just a knee jerk reaction to something different?

That said, we are not talking about products but rather geology…and this is what makes it even harder to get my head around that chinese slate might be sub standard. 

3 minutes ago, nod said:

It’s cheep for a reason 

Like Chinese ceramics Rubish 

Chinese slate is more expensive now than Spanish was 2 -3 years ago 🙂

Isn’t slate just dug up and then sliced? Ceramics go through a manufacturing process so maybe not a fair comparison? 

Slate comes in many different grades, same stuff doesn't come out the ground the same from different locations. They can also slice to different thicknesses.  This affects price and life span, also some thinner slates are unsuitable for higher wind speed areas.

Welsh slate can be bought (more expensive, but way better quality) should last a 100 or more years.

7 hours ago, Field_of_Dreams said:

Chinese slate is more expensive now than Spanish was 2 -3 years ago 🙂

Isn’t slate just dug up and then sliced? Ceramics go through a manufacturing process so maybe not a fair comparison? 

Sorry must have miss read your post 

I thought you had said it was £900 cheaper than Spanish slates 

57 minutes ago, nod said:

Sorry must have miss read your post 

I thought you had said it was £900 cheaper than Spanish slates 

Your correct…the Chinese is 900 cheaper than Spanish at todays price. The point I was making is I would not class Chinese as being cheap as it higher than Spanish was a few years ago…it is just that Spanish is now at a silly price.

8 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Slate comes in many different grades, same stuff doesn't come out the ground the same from different locations. They can also slice to different thicknesses.  This affects price and life span, also some thinner slates are unsuitable for higher wind speed areas.

Welsh slate can be bought (more expensive, but way better quality) should last a 100 or more years.

That makes sense but the supplier I have approached give the same thickness for range for both Spanish and Chinese when comparing. They also meet the same BS standard and are graded S1 W1 T1. 

This is the one I am looking at https://buyroofslate.co.uk/slate/chinese/polaris-canton-ultra-500x250-chinese-slate/

2 hours ago, Field_of_Dreams said:

Your correct…the Chinese is 900 cheaper than Spanish at todays price. The point I was making is I would not class Chinese as being cheap as it higher than Spanish was a few years ago…it is just that Spanish is now at a silly price.

That makes sense but the supplier I have approached give the same thickness for range for both Spanish and Chinese when comparing. They also meet the same BS standard and are graded S1 W1 T1. 

This is the one I am looking at https://buyroofslate.co.uk/slate/chinese/polaris-canton-ultra-500x250-chinese-slate/

I slated our first one with Spanish and made the mistake of thinking grade a1 give you a top quality slate It doesn’t It relates to the piro We returned about a 1000 twisted slate 

Had we used a roofer they would have been throw off the roof 

This time we were less trusting and Used 600x300 Estilo prime Same grade but a very flare slate with hardly any twists 5-7 mil 

While it took myself and my wife nearly six week to slate the house and workshop It was far easier than previous on a more complex roof 44A837BB-0ACE-4BB9-8126-E6E0CF49EAB9.thumb.jpeg.31fb1da46468a79d6be4d422ba193074.jpeg

• Like 2