Draft UFH Plan from Wunda

renovator

Hey Everyone,

So I'm a few weeks out from the renovation / extension and wanted to get your thoughts on the draft UFH plan which I've attached within. Couple of key points:

• Kitchen / Living zone will be serviced by RS3 thermostat with a total of 3 loops
  • The proposed location for the manifold is in the utility room - at the moment, the boiler will be will sit directly behind the gas meter but I'm considering moving the boiler into the garage. This will cost quite a bit more but I wanted to get your thoughts on this and if it's worthwhile spending the extra to move the boiler. If I do this, do I still leave the Utility room as the location for the manifold?
  • Currently, the hallway and WC are on the same loop - I've asked Wunda about the WC getting a little too hot if the Hallway is running at temperature and they advised it'll be fine. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help and feel free to make suggestions.

UFH Plan.png

Really wouldn't bother with the loop in the utility room, just spread the pipes across the floor, for all the other loops that transit through that room.

I would leave everything in the utility.

Am I reading that right, you only have 20mm floor insulation?

If you don't have lots of floor installation your are just throwing money down the toilet now, and every year in the future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Really wouldn't bother with the loop in the utility room, just spread the pipes across the floor, for all the other loops that transit through that room.

I would leave everything in the utility.

Am I reading that right, you only have 20mm floor insulation?

If you don't have lots of floor installation your are just throwing money down the toilet now, and every year in the future.

Thanks for the reply John

There will be 150MM insulation in the new extension and 100MM across the rest of the floor. We will be using the 20MM Wunda lo-profile boards that will sit on top and then a further self levelling screed above.

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

get rid of zones. 

if thats 20mm insulation i wouldnt bother. just put the cost of it an into notes and set fire to them. save you money in the long run.

Thanks Dave,

When you mean get rid of Zones, do you mean the thermostats?

zones are dedicated loops that only heat a portion of the slab. they can have a place in some builds but if you have a square/rectangle slab heating the top left corner and not the top right for example just makes the top left coil work much harder as the heat is being leeched away by the top right. cheaper to heat it all at a lower flow temperature to save money.

If you only have 20mm of insulation though zoning isnt going to save you much as soo much heat will be lost into the ground.

Thanks Dave

So, 1. Remove utility room loop and have the kitchen loop (1-5) go through it. 2. Remove zones: can I still control the temperature separately for the kitchen / open plan living by having just 1 zone?

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, renovator said:

can I still control the temperature separately for the kitchen / open plan living by having just 1 zone

You just balance, if one area is too hot decrease flow to those loops, if to cold increase flow. Adjust over a week or so. Have a wireless thermostat so you can use trial error to find the best location. Use it to control the whole zone.