Vertical Bifold cabinet doors

Dee

Hi

Made my own  W30mm x  H1050mm MDF doors to create 2x V bifold doors.

Not using a track ( or should I?) What hinges do I use? Don't want to use euro hinges so would prefer traditional looking hinges.

Any more tips much appreciated!!

images.jpeg

Edited by Dee
Add image

I would use 'Full-Wrap' hinges, on the swing out portions so you are fixing into the rear face of the door depending on size / weight you may need 3 or 4 of them. The center hinge much more challenging as you need get then on the inside and close the leafs. Here is an example - loads of style available all over. 

amerock-full-wrap-hinge

https://www.kitchenfittingsonline.co.uk/product/amerock-half-wrap-hinge-copy/

• Confused 1

Hi,

it's the hinges for the door to door that I'm struggling with, not door to frame. 

I've got a total mental block on those hinges! Can't see in my head how they work???

Would these work (

or similar)image.png.34993666613ae117aabe2bae1fd82f9f.png

I would recess into the inside face of the doors and also rout a vertical groove to recess the knuckle. Would that work?

Edited by Dee

47 minutes ago, Dee said:

Would these work

Yes, IMO, (and look far better than standard kitchen hinges) BUT, you will need short screws which into 18mm MDF might not be good, a piano hinge fixed to the edge of the doors will allow far more screws and longer screws. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dee said:

Hi,

it's the hinges for the door to door that I'm struggling with, not door to frame. 

I've got a total mental block on those hinges! Can't see in my head how they work???

Would these work (

or similar)image.png.34993666613ae117aabe2bae1fd82f9f.png

I would recess into the inside face of the doors and also rout a vertical groove to recess the knuckle. Would that work?

You could use those and surface mount them on the inside and then countersink on the face for a small nut and washer - use decent epoxy filler and sand flat and it will create a strong hinge that won’t pull through as easy as screws.

Other option is to make them a feature and get some brass plates made up to match the hole size and have brazed studs fitted to the back - using 3mm brass you would end up with a 15mm MDF sandwich but it wouldn’t be cheap.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Ah I see - how about the Parliament hinge design to fold back on itself.

parliamenthinge200.jpg

True but a piano hinge will fold back on itself. Parliament hinges are used to allow doors to fold back on themselves beyond a door frame recessed into brickwork etc.

Thanks guys for the hinge advice. Next problem is making a square frame!

I'm fitting the bifolds doors into an existing alcove.

The doors are dead square. I've rebated the hinges into the frame.

I screwed the frame verticals to the left and right walls. The level says they're straight but the doors don't!

What am i doing wrong?

16919483391758948129433690430807.jpg