So the ultimate plan is to get a proper MVHR however I did wonder if it'd be worth replacing extractor fans in the bathrooms in favour of a decentralised MVHR thingy. 

Has anyone got experience with using a dmvhr for such a thing? What's the best one? 

Would it still work even when I get a proper MVHR or would they potentially fight with each other? 

24 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Would it still work even when I get a proper MVHR or would they potentially fight with each other? 

No they would not fight each other. Air is slippery stuff, it just takes the path of least resistance. As long as extract and supply match each other reasonably well all will be good.

dMVHR, can work out quite expensive and if not careful with selection can be more noisy than you may want 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnMo said:

No they would not fight each other. Air is slippery stuff, it just takes the path of least resistance. As long as extract and supply match each other reasonably well all will be good.

dMVHR, can work out quite expensive and if not careful with selection can be more noisy than you may want 

Thanks. May I ask what you might suggest for a dMVHR? 

I've just installed a lo-carbon tempra in a standalone shower room / attached boot room. Rest of the house has mvhr.

It's a bit noisy (advertised as virtually silent - although I am out in the countryside so there's very little ambient noise) compared to the whole house system. There was also a squeak but managed to fix that by wiggling the fan. But seems to work well and there isn't a huge choice when it comes to proper single room heat exchangers instead of the intermittent ones.

2 hours ago, anonymous said:

Are they significantly better than the competition? 

They do cost a lot more than the others 

Honestly, I don’t know… but from all the bumpf I’ve read, I’m inclined to think that they’re a more premium product than the other stuff out there.

Perhaps that’s just the power of their marketing team winning me over 🤣

14 hours ago, HughF said:

Honestly, I don’t know… but from all the bumpf I’ve read, I’m inclined to think that they’re a more premium product than the other stuff out there.

Perhaps that’s just the power of their marketing team winning me over 🤣

Yeah that's what I was wondering ie: if they're truly that much better. Like getting a Miele appliance when a Bosch is *almost* as good but costs a lot less 

Noise, bought a dMEV fan the blurb said it was silent - it wasn't, so really looked at the specs and compared to others. At min speed old one over 25dBA and new it's 10dBA sound pressure level.

So really look at the noise levels that will define how much one running 24/7 will p**s you off

• Haha 1

I fitted one the Vent Axia Lo Carbon Tempra units, one with the humidistat. Dreadful thing. Terrible noise and useless humidistat. It was in our laundry room. The noise was unbearable and my wife would turn it off at every opportunity. She hated it and never failed to remind me of that fact.  I seriously doubt it extracted any energy from the outgoing air. 
Never again.

On 23/08/2023 at 20:03, Timedout said:

I fitted one the Vent Axia Lo Carbon Tempra units, one with the humidistat. Dreadful thing. Terrible noise and useless humidistat. It was in our laundry room. The noise was unbearable and my wife would turn it off at every opportunity. She hated it and never failed to remind me of that fact.  I seriously doubt it extracted any energy from the outgoing air. 
Never again.

Yeah if mine was anywhere else in the house it'd have been binned. As it is it's out in an isolated shower room so has been allowed to stay. When I get a thermal camera I'll post an investigation to any heat recovery.