Timber framed VS SIP build.

You need dense materials rather than just more material. I’m a bit concerned about noise transfer in our build. Fortunately I’m still in a position to do something about it but I’m not convinced the noise attenuation between rooms is going to be great. 

10 hours ago, gustyturbine said:

I went 100mm Rockwool and I was extremely disappointed. Maybe I just expected too much but you can hear conversation between floors even if you can't make out the words.

What was the build-up of the floor regarding plasterboard and OSB/Chipboard?

9 hours ago, Kelvin said:

but I’m not convinced the noise attenuation between rooms is going to be great. 

As I stated sonewhere I wish I had double boarded and used sound bars, very good sound attenuation I have read.

On 14/08/2023 at 19:36, Iceverge said:

What was the build-up of the floor regarding plasterboard and OSB/Chipboard?

From memory we have from upstairs working down - Flooring carpet/underlay, 22mm Chipboard, Wolf/Pozi joists with 100mm Rockwool between, Soundboard (plasterboard) below joist with wet plaster skim.

• 3 weeks later...

The sound will follow any air gaps. Unfortunately any amount of sound proofing will make little difference if there is a clear path for sound to follow. 

If you ever renew the carpet you can put a layer of cement board below the underlay and use acoustic sealant to plug every gap.