Backyard doors - all glass double or triple glazed?

JohnBishop

Hi All,

I am going to replace old wooden doors to my backyard and I was wondering if I should go for double or triple glazed does it really make a difference.
I reckon triple would make these doors pretty heavy.
The existing doors are W 80 x H 192cm.

What would you suggest I should pay attention to?

Thank you

I really think it depends on the insulation on the rest of your house, with my passive esk build I went for good double glazing as going triple only made a small difference to the overall U value. If your house is built to passive standards then triple will give you the best result and not be a weakest link, if not then double, with coatings might well be suffice (and lighter!).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I really think it depends on the insulation on the rest of your house, with my passive esk build I went for good double glazing as going triple only made a small difference to the overall U value. If your house is built to passive standards then triple will give you the best result and not be a weakest link, if not then double, with coatings might well be suffice (and lighter!).

what coatings do you mean?

There is insulation on the outside.
What about the glass. Does it make a difference if I go for 2 sections rather than a single large piece?

11 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

what coatings do you mean?

• Used as thermal barriers and solar filters. Without changing the composition of the glass itself, it is used to improve thermal and solar performance of float glass.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:
  • Used as thermal barriers and solar filters. Without changing the composition of the glass itself, it is used to improve thermal and solar performance of float glass.

ok thank you

what about single large or two smaller glass panels?

Do glass in such doors crack frequently? I reckon more often in doors than windows. If two panels then less glass to replace.

2 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Do glass in such doors crack frequently?

Any glass in a door or next to it must be safety glass so cracking is not a problem. No idea about thermal properties of one or two panes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Any glass in a door or next to it must be safety glass so cracking is not a problem. No idea about thermal properties of one or two panes.

Right

Should I just search for any double glaze doors or are there any other things I should pay attention too?

I understand in the UK there is several factories that make UPVC windows/doors on order for some local window installers but from factory to factory there isn't much difference.
Or should I pay attention to some brands?

Various ways to skin the cat.

Double glaze can vary in U value hugely, depending on the frame build up and double glazed units used. We have triple glazed windows and 4 double glazed outside door sets -mainly due to weight.

UPVc/aluminium U values came in at between 1.4 and 2. something, which is rubbish.  We went for wooden (and all windows) with krypton gas between the double glazed pains, total U value for the door is either 1.0 or 1.1, a while since a looked.

Unless the rest of your house is well insulated and draft proof, triple glazed is long way down the list of things to spend your money on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the decisions come down to what you want and what restrictions if any you have.

Swinging or sliding, colour and material for frame, budget, etc etc. your doors are not big so there will probably be “standard” units that will fit. If you are going for better thermal efficiency then your options narrow as the spec goes up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

Most of the decisions come down to what you want and what restrictions if any you have.

Swinging or sliding, colour and material for frame, budget, etc etc. your doors are not big so there will probably be “standard” units that will fit. If you are going for better thermal efficiency then your options narrow as the spec goes up.

This would be standard swinging doors.
Is there any brand in particular you would recommend?

Should I order them myself and arrange the installers separately or just let the deal with it? I reckon the installers have their suppliers.

5 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

This would be standard swinging doors.
Is there any brand in particular you would recommend?

Should I order them myself and arrange the installers separately or just let the deal with it? I reckon the installers have their suppliers.

If you are wanting UPVC, get in touch with a local supplier and let them supply and fit. This way they are responsible for the measure and any problems. Probably much cheaper than you buying and getting someone to fit

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markc said:

If you are wanting UPVC, get in touch with a local supplier and let them supply and fit. This way they are responsible for the measure and any problems. Probably much cheaper than you buying and getting someone to fit

Let a local uPVC firm fit windows for you? Hmmmmm…… not in my house 🤣

5 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Why? Bad experience? I could try to fit a window myself but not the doors. Too heavy.

Shocking experience….. bunch of cowboys who will measure an inch smaller all round so they don’t have to spend any time hacking off render, then they cover it all up with shitty trims…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HughF said:

Shocking experience….. bunch of cowboys who will measure an inch smaller all round so they don’t have to spend any time hacking off render, then they cover it all up with shitty trims…

I would suggest however not all workers are the same, tar and brush?

42 minutes ago, HughF said:

thanks for pointing this out because if I don't know this stuff then I have to look at these trims as you said.

By the way what glass filters do you recommend? Should I just go clear glass?

Also are there any like fly/mosquito screen doors system like they have in US? I reckon the hinges would be together with the main door frame.

• 2 weeks later...