Penultimate project... again.

Paddyflyer

Hello All,

We've completed, a couple of weeks ago, on a little bungalow (built 1950/60s) in the Cotswolds. The renos have already begun...

Phase 1 consists of repairs and general redo (flooring, strip and paint wall, new bathroom etc.).

Following on, Phase 2 will be knocking the wall through from kitchen to living room and new kitchen.

Phase 3, should we have any energy left, will hopefully be a ground floor extension. (The current footprint is  L shaped... the extension would fill in the empty square) and a new roof over everything (attic trusses).

We are in a bit of an odd position from a DIY standpoint. Over the past 15 years we have completely renovated a large (>3000ft2) house, built a small dwelling (800ft2), designed and built a workshop with office over (1400 ft2) and designed and built a 3 storey house (2500 ft2) plus drawing up and building numerous outbuildings. I've done much of the work over most of the projects so I think I am a relatively competent DIYer.

The rub is that we have never built anything in the UK. So I am finding it a bit of a learning curve to say the least.

Hopefully, you'll all be gentle as I ask some seemingly very simple questions.

In return, I am hoping I might be able to add some value to the forums with some "foreign" perspectives on building.

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome

For everything you must do, there is another rule to say you must not do it.

Yes, I'm beginning to see that a bit already. Certainly different to how it is in the "Colonies", although to be fair, Canada has its fair share of burdensome regulations as well. 

I think one main difference of note to self-builder/DIYers is that, in most of Canada, you are allowed to do any and all work yourself on your own home (yes, even gas!). Of course, it still needs to pass inspections. The only stopper may be insurance issues, but I've never had a problem after presenting a signed off certificate of completion.

Over here in sunny England, I get told on the daily that "you can't do that yourself". Get's a bit disheartening really... 

1 minute ago, Paddyflyer said:

although to be fair, Canada has its fair share of burdensome regulations as well. 

Yes, and everything is highly unionised, and closed on a Sunday.

I play a game with my Canadian Cousins, called "Name 4 interesting Canadians?

Been playing it since 1989, still not got a definitive list.