Daikin heat pump cylinder

That's a weird way to state the details of the coil, so both .4m2 and .8m3 cylinders have been sold in the past with HP's from the whole range of 4kW to 16kW. Does that mean is it worth buying and using today? Can you buy it/use it and give the forum the verdict?😁

https://www.daikin.ch/content/dam/document-library/installation-manuals/heat/air-to-water-heat-pump-low-temperature/ekhwsu-b3v3/EKHWSU-B3V3_4P344370-1B_2019_08_installation manual_English.pdf

image.thumb.png.46a9cc178fe6f8b5a53b4dd9259ba198.png

Edited by DanDee

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Pretty dinky coil size

Daikin specify 1.1 sq m min coil size for third party cylinders, both for their LT and HT models.  Small compared to the normal HP specific coil but not small enough that most will be able to reuse an existing cylinder.

For their LT only they also specify a max size (which I don't have to hand), no idea why unless it's a flow resistance thing.  In both cases this appears in the installer manual.

Edited by JamesPa

Napkin calculations....

if they use a 22mm copper pipe for the coil, 2.3 l is a bit over 7m. 22mm pip has an area of 0.07m2 per meter so the coil area would be about 0.5m

If they used 15mm pipe you would have 16m of pipe so the area would be 0.75m of coil (though the flow resistance would be higher)

Corrugations would increase the surface area maybe by 2x, but even so it seems a pretty small coil compared to what they specify.

Hummm, the second set of data is broadly consistent with my "assume a 22mm coiled pipe" calculations, but it looks like they have upped the could size. 

I note the first set of data.was.for the "B3V3" cylinders, whilst the second is for the "D3V3". Maybe the difference is the "D3" series use larger (longer) coils. Hence the discrepancy.