3d plastic printer modelling

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Is this kind of plastic recyclable?

I'm told it is a resin, which I'd guess is not recyclable.

Also told that it would have been a better quality in plastic, which is an option. Black would not be recyclable. others? No idea.

• Like 1

As long as you have a 3D model you can print it. Pretty much it's a doddle.

Resin is tbh probably going to give the best quality. What's the finish like on the model under any overhangs like soffits and canopies?

If done on an FDM (fusion deposit modelling) printer like my lads then PLA (poly lactic acid) is easiest to print / gives the best finish. Colour is immaterial. Again under the overhangs can look a bit rough and require "support". A dual extruder machine comes in handy whereby you can print the support structures in say PVA and then soak then off.

PLA is then theoretically compostable given the right heat & moisture conditions. It's I think the most eco friendly of all the filaments. 

Btw it's my son who does the printing. I just come up with mad ideas. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

What's the finish like on the model under any overhangs like soffits and canopies?

Generally very good indeed. But one gable end had a complete split between roof overhang and wall, as if it had snapped there. A streak of glue (epoxy?)   would close and fill it.

The only other flaw was a lack of detail, eg boardng effects on the drawing were vague on the models. I guess you change line strengths if you know it is for a model.