Unhappy with tradesmen quality of work

Long story short we had windows and doors fitted by the same firm.  The bifolds dont open as smoothly as they should (very stiff), the company keeps breaking promises to come and fix them.

I have paid 90% of the invoice on the understanding they return and fix but its looking unlikely they will do so. 

How should i proceed? 

1 hour ago, Digger1 said:

Long story short we had windows and doors fitted by the same firm.  The bifolds dont open as smoothly as they should (very stiff), the company keeps breaking promises to come and fix them.

I have paid 90% of the invoice on the understanding they return and fix but its looking unlikely they will do so. 

How should i proceed? 

Keep chasing them in writing, email is ideal. Your chasers need to set out precisely what the issues are and give them a reasonable deadline by which to fix them . Normally, 21 days is reasonable, but given you’ve already asked them, a final chance of 14 days would also be reasonable. Explain that if they don’t fix it within 14 days you will be forced to escalate the matter and take legal action against them for breaches of your statutory rights.

Whether you actually bother to pursue this in the courts is an altogether different matter, but giving the tradesman the impression that you are willing to take it that far might be all that’s required.

• Like 1