Boiler and wiring centre on same FSU?

Super_Paulie

I'm sure you knowledgeable lot can answer this in a jiffy, I can't seem to find the answer online.

Boiler in the loft, wiring centre (and UFH gubbins) on the ground floor. Should both of these be powered from the same FSU? Just means they are a long way away from each other in terms of local isolation...

The main feed will be to the wiring centre. so FCU there.

From there you will need a minimum of permanent L and N and switched L (call for heat) to the boiler.  So use a 3 core and earth for that, and locally a 3 pole fan isolator switch would do the job of local boiler isolation.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 19:46, ProDave said:

The main feed will be to the wiring centre. so FCU there.

From there you will need a minimum of permanent L and N and switched L (call for heat) to the boiler.  So use a 3 core and earth for that, and locally a 3 pole fan isolator switch would do the job of local boiler isolation.

Cheers Dave. So like this? (earths omitted for clarity) I assume i wouldnt need to isolate the live return to the Heatmiser as it the live supply is clipped at the 3 pole.

Quick couple of points if i may.
Without a second isolator down at the wiring centre i wouldnt be able to isolate it without killing the juice to the boiler, so if i had an issue down there it would also cut off my potential for hot water only. Should i add in that secondary isolator or am i just being overly cautious in regards to future issues?

The heatmiser needs fused down to 5a and the boiler 3a, what fuse should i be looking at in the FCU?

Cheers fella. Im the type of bloke who needs to draw it all out in advance. Makes for slow work but thats all my brain will accept.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 14.00.21.png

Edited by Super_Paulie

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

I would double check your boiler takes a live demand for heat. Ours needed a volt free demand for heat.

its a Baxi 830. To keep it simple im using the "240v control connection" instead of anything OpenTherm as i dont think i need that. Attached picture i found online but mine is the same. The Heatmiser LS (live supply) and the LR (live return) are volt free, so connecting those in place of this yellow loop will call for heat, i believe.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 15.11.33.png

Edited by Super_Paulie

It doesn't look like you need to supply a 240v live as it already has it. The jumper just becomes a switch in the wiring centre. So the two wires just go from boiler to wiring centre not in to the isolation switch.

If it wrong someone will be along to say I'm wrong

12 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

It doesn't look like you need to supply a 240v live as it already has it. The jumper just becomes a switch in the wiring centre. So the two wires just go from boiler to wiring centre not in to the isolation switch.

If it wrong someone will be along to say I'm wrong

i agree, was just drawing that up. Hopefully if we are off the mark someone will advise but im hoping to test this out at some point this afternoon.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 16.30.49.png

20 minutes ago, TonyT said:

No need for a 3 pole isolator.

the fcu is the only isolator required.

any thoughts for the boiler on its own circuit?

Cheers Tony. But that would mean I have no "local" isolation at the boiler? Guess it doesn't really matter but I was going to go from solid core to flex at loft level so may as well put the "local" isolation in instead of just a junction box.

If I don't have isolation down before the wiring centre but after the FCU then I'd have no means to knock that off and keep the combi providing DHW, but how often that situation will come up is anyone's guess.

Boiler on its own circuit could happen, the wiring centre is almost at the consumer unit anyways.

Run a 5 core flex from the wiring centre to the boiler

label at boiler to say isolation at wiring centre or if it’s on its own circuit breaker/rcbo. Another isolation point

Edited by TonyT

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Run a 5 core flex from the wiring centre to the boiler

label at boiler to say isolation at wiring centre or if it’s on its own circuit breaker/rcbo. Another isolation point

I was under the impression flex is frowned upon over distance? We are looking at 15m maybe from boiler to wiring centre.

So ignore the fact I wouldn't get DHW if the wiring centre needs isolating for whatever reason? Probably a situation that would never occur to be fair.

23 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Run 100 m if you want no reg to say otherwise 

Interesting, id read otherwise. I'll do more research on that.

If I have the boiler 3a and the wiring centre 5a from the same FCU, how would I protect both from a single fuse? 

Most cables radiate from the wiring centre out ( expect the weather comp that’s direct to the boiler)

it’s a  cable into the spur, out the the spur into the wiring centre

3a fuse for the lot.

you are trying to minimise joints

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 18:46, TonyT said:

Most cables radiate from the wiring centre out ( expect the weather comp that’s direct to the boiler)

it’s a  cable into the spur, out the the spur into the wiring centre

3a fuse for the lot.

you are trying to minimise joints

Ok just to confirm before I crack on. I'm ok to run 5 core flex from the wiring centre/spur downstairs up to the loft to power the boiler? Roughly 15m. It just seems I'm getting really contrasting information from 'the web about running such long flex.

Cheers

Cheers gents, I've finished the job. Haven't flipped the switch yet as it's beer o'clock now I think, just want to say cheers for the info.

One thing that I just thought though, I cable tied the 5 core flexes together along the run just to keep them neat while I was doing the job. Is that frowned upon or am I just being overly cautious with that?