Modulation % of Riello

2 minutes ago, HughF said:

mini splits and running the refrigerant circuit through a coil of pipe stuffed into my immersion heater hole...

Saw a YouTube vid a while ago, some did similar, but the cylinder was open vented so he took the top off and replicated the coil. From the day he published it worked a treat. That all the ventilation air HP do.

1 hour ago, HughF said:

I'm a member of the Polish 'heat pump open source monitoring' facebook group

Link?

I'd be tempted to wrap a couple rolls of brake pipe around the hot water tank to see what a 2.5 kW class mini split can do. 

A better idea might be to keep it all outside. Any idea what this uses as a collector?

https://www.heliotherm.com/en/geothermal-heat-pump-direct-expansion.html

6 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

Be nice if it was a simple as a radiator swap.

https://e-brgroup.eu/lt/kondicionavimas/2772-dezute-potinkine-su-dangteliu.html

Bury those in the walls along with the fridge pipe /drain pies and cable conduit and it's as good as a rad swap.

Lift. Undo cable. Unbolt two pipes. Remove old bracket. Bolt on new bracket. Flare pipes on new head to suit existing. Connect wires on new head to existing. Divert condensate drain into box.

Job good. Nothing need line up particularly.

When everything is surface mounted or rigidly fixed to suit a given head is when waps are hard.

@Nickfromwales did you build the man cave yet? Want a couple of those "AC back boxes" bringing back? 55 mm depth suits 45 mm battens and a sheet of plasterboard.

13 hours ago, markocosic said:

@Nickfromwales did you build the man cave yet?

Nope, lol. Possible change of location for offices is imminent, eg not at the home address. I did a trial run with a section of the man-shed (6mx3.6m) and the kids have managed to find their way in during teams meetings etc due to 'lifechanging problems' such as the Wi-Fi going down for 8 seconds or more or not being able to locate the last fun sized bag of skittles etc.

For the type and size of the clients I am now dealing with, man needs peace and quiet to do my thing!!

Will probably go ahead next summer but more to create a summer room / studio flat type of thing for guests, and the much needed roof space where I can install additional solar PV.

18 hours ago, markocosic said:

Link?

I'd be tempted to wrap a couple rolls of brake pipe around the hot water tank to see what a 2.5 kW class mini split can do. 

A better idea might be to keep it all outside. Any idea what this uses as a collector?

I’ll probably use the Pool heatpump I picked up for £400, and just use a bronze pump (I have a direct cylinder with a couple of extra tappings)…. It’s only to give me a solar powered water heating solution in the summer when the Rayburn isn’t lit.

18 hours ago, markocosic said:

Link?

I'll DM you the link to the private group, I've generated and invite QR code (I assume you've got FB on your phone?)

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

On this

As long as you ‘roughly’ replace the surface area of the mini splits internal unit pipework, and position the mid pipe sensor in the correct spot, the EEV will take care of the rest.

Or were you thinking I was going to put hot water through it? I wasn’t…..

Edited by HughF

25 minutes ago, HughF said:

29 minutes ago, HughF said:

As long as you ‘roughly’ replace the surface area of the mini splits internal unit pipework, and position the mid pipe sensor in the correct spot, the EEV will take care of the rest.

Or were you thinking I was going to put hot water through it? I wasn’t…..

Agreed, but the coil dia looks too big and too short. I thought they small dia and a quite a few meters of pipe?

8 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Agreed, but the coil dia looks too big and too short. I thought they small dia and a quite a few meters of pipe?

Apparently the solarcoil is 10mm tube, which closely matches the 3/8” tube in my indoor unit. I’ve got some dimensions somewhere….

I suppose a dual coil direct cylinder with a pair in series would be a good bet.

The biggest issue is gutting the indoor unit of all its required parts, and boxing them up into an enclosure. Mini splits don’t work without the indoor unit being complete and fault free.

Edited by HughF

I saw a video of someone in the states doing the same. He just removed the fan blades and the coil temp sensors, moving the sensors on to the new coil. The remains of the unit mounted in the wall next to the cylinder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I saw a video of someone in the states doing the same. He just removed the fan blades and the coil temp sensors, moving the sensors on to the new coil. The remains of the unit mounted in the wall next to the cylinder.

Yep, I’m currently sat on a 3kW pool heat pump (no reversing valve, no inverter control) which was cheap, but I’m not sure if I’m going to go with that, plumbed directly into my vented direct cylinder (currently heated just be the Rayburn), or whether I’ll shelve that and buy another r290 mini split and use that.