Matching decking and cladding OR using decking as cladding?

Hi all,

Wasn't sure quite where to put this thread, as it's not strictly decking.

I am looking to fit a deck but have matching vertical cladding so they can meet each other neatly ande seem almost continuous. For the cladding, I suspect we want tongue and groove for water resistance?

I am struggling... nobody offers such a combination that I can find.  We are looking at composite ideally.

If we were to use decking as cladding, I am not sure about the gaps between the boards, as it may show up the grey housewrap underneath, and make it easy for things to live behind the boards.  Is this a valid concern?

Many thanks!

I really wouldn't do the same on deck and wall as the contrast looks way better. I wanted to go the same route as you, but the wife said no and she was right.

The other thing with composite is the expansion and contraction is a lot more than wood, not clear how you would account for that and still look good on the walls. It's also pretty heavy. You can nail the wood in place you can't the composite.

IMG_20230630_130850.thumb.jpg.11a87e01f65a71f96ae81b91b1687d42.jpg

We also considered this.

Rejected it because it's an invitation for wasps/hornets etc to make home behind the boards; and those little swines will much straight through any membranes (which must now by UV proof) that you have behind there.

We used decking on the deck (120*28 mm nominal) and square edge overlapping cladding (145 mm; overlap meant for 10 mm nominal space between boards) on the walls. 

https://www.statybumedis.lt/lygi-terasa-28x120mm-ab-kat-iki-5proc-c-kl-pusis-impr-giluminiu-budu-ruda74576-1-65886.html

https://www.statybumedis.lt/vertikalios-su-5mm-tarpuku-20x96120145mm-c-kl--egle-siurkstus-pav74541-1-60518.html

Wound up like this. Decking still to be cleaned/coated. (we were waiting for excess brown dip coat to rinse off and weather a little)

Cladding for a tinted acrylic dispersion from Cetol; to keep it "weathered look" rather than they "mmmmm yellow" that it would turn if given only a clear coat.

PXL_20230707_184357077.jpg

Thanks all, great advice.

After a drive around all the local stockists, we are likely to go with completely different deck to cladding.... takes a proper look to re-assess everything, we find.

Of course  the wife has expensive taste, and wants Millboard Board & Batten cladding!   https://millboard.co.uk/cladding/board-batten  Fortunately we don't need a lot.

We won't go with Millboard decking, as we need quite a bit and I want to save my spare kidney until I need it.  But there are loads more decking options than cladding it seems.

Any more pics of peoples projects for inspiration would be great :)