UFH with flow problem - how can I confirm flow rates

DeanAlan

We had a wet UFH installed last year in our renovation. I supplied and a local plumber fitted the manifold and pressure tested.

It works 🙂

However, the flow meters have always felt pretty unreliable and more so I seem to have a problem getting a good flow of water into some zones that are at the other end of the manifold even if I shut all the other valves off.

My starting point would be to ignore the flow meters that are on the manifold and maybe see if there is a more reliable way I can check the flow rate through. Would such a thing be possible? Remove the flow meters and use something a little more calibrated and reliable, what woudl that be.

I'm using 12 zone https://file.continal.eu/PD/GB/13_Continal_Manifold_Product_Datasheet_GB-EN.pdf manifold.

I can adjust each manifold value and get the flow indicator to go move a little off 0 but not to any great degree (even if it is the only valve that is open).

The advice I get from Continual is pretty vanilla. Looking for something a little more helpful.

I'm about to start focusing on this problem before winter kicks in 🙂

cheers,

-Dean

If you flow meter are not reading correctly it could be one or two reasons.

System is full of rubbish, flow meters will be black and or very dirty. Shouldn't be the issue really

But most likely you have air in the system. The system when running should be near silent, if makes he old noise you need to bleed.

Thanks all.

Water is all clear (well, slightly blue cos it has glycol in).
Has no air. the ASHP team removed all that. It was very loud to begin with.

I was considering getting an infra red camera to trace the pipes through and see if I could see anything that looked like a pipe restriction.

Loop pump in the manifold? There is certainly a pump.

For most of the circuits it works just fine but 1 of them seems particular limitted.

I will start investigating more methodically this weekend.