Door liners???

SimonD

I wonder whether I've made a bit of a mistake in my planning. In the designs we've gone for metric doors and the bigger ones too. 826 x 2040 and some 926 x 2040. Fine for the doors eventually as I've found availability a problem for a while. Now I'm struggling with door liners - lots available off the shelf with trenched headers for the smaller doors and untrenched for imperial door widths, but few and far between for the metric liners. The other thing I've found is that the liners are often not wide enough to deal with the full width of my stud walls which use double plasterboard each side, so with stud, PB and skim, none of the standard dimensions work out.

I'd like to use 32mm thick door liners, so finished size of ca. 27-28mm but unless I pay silly money - e.g. £80 per liner, it doesn't seem practical. My thoughts now are to getting some 25mm MR MDF ripped to size instead. Any other thoughts or suggestions? (other than plan better in the future 😁)

It's easy to make your own from regular PAR timber for way less than £80. I've also seen them made from plywood. But don't use MDF - it doesn't have the strength to hold the hinge screws.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

It's easy to make your own from regular PAR timber for way less than £80

3 hours ago, markc said:

As above

10 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Buy some PAR timber and make exactly what you need

Thanks all, that was my first port of call. Unfortunately I'm finding the same difficulty getting hold of PAR in the dimensions I want. I've build the door openings for 32mm linings, assuming finished nonimal 27-28mm, but nobody locally stocks or supplies any 32 x in widths greater than 138mm so about 132mm finished. One merchant does list 32 x up to 225 but no stock. Other than that, I've got to go to 38mm so 32mm finished which means trimming the doors which have all been supplied pre finished.

Oh, actually, I may have just found some with 32 x 150 so possibly okay for most walls. I just wonder whether this will work okay with shadow gap beads.

Then need to find something for the walls with 140mm cls.