Help with window

Sophiae

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Aside/OT..

I would change the layout of the doors to the master bedroom and ensuite to eliminate that little corridor as it's a waste of space? Think there are several options but perhaps..

image.png.0acfaa9a9e52bffa9caaf729295c2f9e.png

That’s a really good option too. I am happy to explore ideas. I flexible with internal alterations to see what works better. 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Discuss with your BCO. I note there isn't a door between the kitchen and the hall/escape route. The BCO might have an issue with that if the window can't be used.

Yes it’s an open plan. 
If it makes any difference there is no gas in the property. It’s all electric. I don’t have a TV or a kettle, it would be something to cook on and the oven, along with the fridge/freezer and washing machine. Other than that phone chargers and that’s about it I think. 

13 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Yes it’s an open plan. 
If it makes any difference there is no gas in the property. It’s all electric. I don’t have a TV or a kettle, it would be something to cook on and the oven, along with the fridge/freezer and washing machine. Other than that phone chargers and that’s about it I think. 

It doesn’t matter. It’s still a kitchen and in fire risk terms, the worst. All bedrooms require a window or door that meets the means of escape requirements.

14 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Yes it’s an open plan. 

Only just noticed this. Effectively means you've no hallway and all that space is considered kitchen. All other rooms will need their own escape routes. Our design was very similar, so we put up internal sliding doors between the kitchen and hall to show kitchen closed off from rest of building. They are never closed 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Only just noticed this. Effectively means you've no hallway and all that space is considered kitchen. All other rooms will need their own escape routes. Our design was very similar, so we put up internal sliding doors between the kitchen and hall to show kitchen closed off from rest of building. They are never closed 😀

Any chance you have a picture to show me? 

On 11/07/2023 at 15:27, ETC said:

Between 0m - 1m you can only have 1.0m2 of unprotected area - ie doors or windows. If this satisfies the ventilation requirements (1/20th of the floor area) - grand. It will satisfy EEW requirement which requires a 750mmx450mm (0.33m2) but you may come across resistance from your neighbour. The window you have shown is too big.

ETC is right, your window can be up to 1.0m2 and will obviously open inwards if the neighbour has erected a fence across it. However, also as pointed out if you can't use the window to escape out of then you have an issue as the room is an "inner room" i.e escape in case of fire is through another room - the dining, kitchen area. 

I would think you will need to extend the side wall of the bathroom labelled as 2550mm across the hall to meet the room in question. A door will be needed into the dining/kitchen off what is now a hallway. All rooms will then open onto a hallway with a direct exit and thus comply whether or not they have escape windows. You then only have to comply with the size limit and the ventilation as above.