Simple PV->DHW system

Crofter

3 hours ago, Crofter said:

I like to DIY 🙂

Why would that stop you notifying your DNO.

If you can't fill in a G98 and do a single line sketch, you probably shouldn't be doing a DIY install.....both are straight forward to do

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Why would that stop you notifying your DNO.

If you can't fill in a G98 and do a single line sketch, you probably shouldn't be doing a DIY install.....both are straight forward to do

Sorry I was assuming that it would be at that point that I would be rumbled and they'd all me who was installing it.

2 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Sorry I was assuming that it would be at that point that I would be rumbled and they'd all me who was installing it.

No, you can DIY the lot. I know of a 100% DIY install with a G98 signed off by the DIYer. DNO accepted it. It's not legit as it should have a spark test and certify but it's seems DNO doesnt care/notice.

Other DNOs may be more scrupulous but I think they're likely to be pretty appreciative that someone's bothered to notify them regardless whos signature is on the form??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

No, you can DIY the lot. I know of a 100% DIY install with a G98 signed off by the DIYer. DNO accepted it. It's not legit as it should have a spark test and certify but it's seems DNO doesnt care/notice.

Other DNOs may be more scrupulous but I think they're likely to be pretty appreciative that someone's bothered to notify them regardless whos signature is on the form??

Thanks, so basically it's the same as most wiring then- don't be an idiot!

And the requirement to get it done by an MCS company still stands if you want to get paid for export?

19 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Thanks, so basically it's the same as most wiring then- don't be an idiot!

And the requirement to get it done by an MCS company still stands if you want to get paid for export

Yep, MCS(or equivalent) for paid export. I'm sure someone posted about there being another outfit that does the certification but can't remember the name.

24 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Yep, MCS(or equivalent) for paid export. I'm sure someone posted about there being another outfit that does the certification but can't remember the name.

Flexorb is the alternative outfit.  Octopus wont accept them though, the decision whether or not to accept is down to the supplier.

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Maybe I missed something but OP has/wants E7, so grid tied??

On 06/07/2023 at 16:47, JohnMo said:

My-PV do a DC immersion which can also take an AC input,

The immersion I referenced is AC connected for backup.  It will run the PV array fully off grid.. You set you target temp for AC, independent of what the DC (PV) does or achieves.

So completely fulfills what the OP asked for. PV hot water but also can be charged by E7 if required.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

The immersion I referenced is AC connected for backup.  It will run the PV array fully off grid.. You set you target temp for AC, independent of what the DC (PV) does or achieves.

So completely fulfills what the OP asked for. PV hot water but also can be charged by E7 if required.

OPs mentioned "feeding the house first" and repeatedly said grid tied?? Having the PV hooked up just to a diverter seems a waste as theres no where for the PV to go once the DHW tank is hot, or is that not how it works??

9 hours ago, JohnMo said:

That immersion looks good but it's really really expensive.

I'm thinking the Cool Energy DiverTech will do the job at a third of the cost.