Sensible ASHP location

So placing an AC or ASHP outdoor unit has a few sensitivities I'm aware of:

1/ Permitted development. In many cases for ASHP you have to place it 1M away from the edge. 

-> my understanding is that this requirement can be waived, if we prove the device is quiet enough - below ambient outdoor noise - anyone know more detail?

-> For Air Conditioning there are no requirements that I'm aware of. Anyone know differently?

2/ Device needs room to breathe from the back - 300mm is sufficient (but what about 'tree trunks'?)

-> Putting plants closeish behind is fine, but what about the roots disturbing the concrete?

3/ Device needs room to breathe from the front - Mitsu's latest model specifies 600mm minimum I think (plus with passivhaus I don't need it running on 'max')

Just visually this is what I had in mind 

image.thumb.png.51d2fc0ca0292c3203634433fa3a1521.png

A=100mm

B=100mm

C=100mm

D=480 (Mitsubishi Ecodan 8.5) 

E=600mm

You need to at the install manual for heat pump, but your clearance either side doesn't look enough.

Search Google for MCS 026 (think) or MCS noise, you are looking for a spreadsheet or pdf that walks you though the noise calculation.

Do you need concrete, my ASHP just sits on gravel.

• 3 weeks later...

My ASHP (mitsubishi ecodan) has this in the manual:

image.png.7a932c064acfd7967d88e372c50a278c.png

My main question really is, can I plant some trees right behind the ASHP, e.g.

image.png.63bd8e34e491726fb193350b089a90e7.png

With the trees basically only being 'trunks' (and not impeding airflow) around the ASHP, and the foliage just above the 6ft fence?

And of course some tree with a non-invasive root system that doesn't undermine the ASHP?

This is from a 'street planting' site:

image.png.61eb102ac817634725aab5123b3a9575.png

Edited by puntloos

Got a link to the manual so we can see what "100 (300)" means? Is that minimum 100mm but ideally 300mm? 100mm for a chain link fence but 300mm for a wall? 

Some models are designed for wall mounting where a wall in close proximity is expected.

If it says the minimum distance to a wall is 100mm then it should be OK to put a tree trunk at 100mm. 

Heat geek did a video where the explored all the clearance required for air flow, ended up completely boxed in covered in blankets and it still performed well. Concluded you can almost do what you want with outside unit, as long as internal plumbing design was right, you will stil get good performance.

I don't think there is any permitted development rights for Aircon or a unit that provides cooling. Not that anyone would know. They would assume it's a heat pump.

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Heat geek did a video where the explored all the clearance required for air flow, ended up completely boxed in covered in blankets and it still performed well. Concluded you can almost do what you want with outside unit, as long as internal plumbing design was right, you will stil get good performance.

Worth keeping in mind, especially the final heating cost impact, even if there is one, is going to be a smallish amount, I imagine.

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I don't think there is any permitted development rights for Aircon or a unit that provides cooling. Not that anyone would know. They would assume it's a heat pump.

And also for heatpumps there's permitted development (but there are limits, you can't have too huge a device)