Water Mains Map

Hi

Not sure if this post belongs to this topic or not, but I'm looking for an open-source map of Yorkshire (Harrogate Specifically) water pipes. I'm trying to work out where the nearest known water main is and the distance from a remote location I'm interested in building on...

Are there any free resources out there?

Also - could someone tell me why this information appears to be kept under lock and key?

Thanks all!!

You won't get that, water companies protect their data for obvious reasons- terrorism, sabotage, theft etc . Get in touch with your water company with your query and the will tell you the nearest viable supply. 

The answer is also much more complicated than what is the nearest pipe. It needs to be the right pressure, size, purpose (you're not going to put a 25mm tapping on a 1200mm raw water trunk main or a pumped supply to a reservoir.)

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 16:28, Lexifir said:

Are there any free resources out there

The manhole cover collapsed in my drive last week.  It was a private sewer pipe that got adopted by South West Water a few years back (never got my insurance money back).  I contacted SSW and they looked it up on their map (some old software that just happened to be developed my an ex of mine back in the 90s), found it, came around decided it was dangerous, got it covered over and then repaired, all within 3 days.  Brilliant service.

Thames Water on the other hand, hopeless.  They installed a meter at my parents house about 20 years ago, billed on estimates, but cannot locate the meter to actually read it.  So as the house was empty for most of the last year, and little usage for the previous decade, a huge over payment that may not now be recoverable (the smart electric meter is faulty as well, so another challenge).

So try your local water board first.