Changing tank temp. LG Therma V with older controller

Hello there, 

Wonder if any legend on here can help me. We have had an LG Therma V heat pump installed and use it to heat radiators and hot water. 

I want to increase the temperature of the hot water in the tank but when I try to follow the instructions as set out in videos or manual, I am unable to. 

I've tried searching everywhere and tried contacting LG but no luck finding anything. 

*This is what I've tried*

Pressing 'view temp' until it shows tank temperature

Pressing 'set temp'

Pressing 'up /down' (but nothing happens) 

Have also tried various other combinations but had no luck. 

Anyone encountered this? 

Many thanks to anyone who can possibly help. 

Regards

Patrick 

Screenshot_2023-06-30-12-07-41-646_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

8 minutes ago, Patrick C said:

Hello there, 

Wonder if any legend on here can help me. We have had an LG Therma V heat pump installed and use it to heat radiators and hot water. 

I want to increase the temperature of the hot water in the tank but when I try to follow the instructions as set out in videos or manual, I am unable to. 

I've tried searching everywhere and tried contacting LG but no luck finding anything. 

*This is what I've tried*

Pressing 'view temp' until it shows tank temperature

Pressing 'set temp'

Pressing 'up /down' (but nothing happens) 

Have also tried various other combinations but had no luck. 

Anyone encountered this? 

Many thanks to anyone who can possibly help. 

Regards

Patrick 

Screenshot_2023-06-30-12-07-41-646_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Can you post a video of the display/controls as you are trying to do it?

From what I can see, you are shuffling through the view temp menu, you pressed set temp only once, and it didn't change the menu to "set temp", according to this youtube video, I see no point in pressing view temp, you need to play/understand how/why the set temp button doesn't take you where you need.

• Thanks 1

When you press the 'water heating' button it toggles the shower symbol where it says hot water. The symbol is visible in the first video I posted. 

So I'm able to press that which enables/disables the hot water heating, but not to adjust target temp

17 hours ago, Patrick C said:

When you press the 'water heating' button it toggles the shower symbol where it says hot water. The symbol is visible in the first video I posted. 

So I'm able to press that which enables/disables the hot water heating, but not to adjust target temp

The dhw temp might be an installer setting on the grounds of legionella/efficiency/general distrust of homeowners.  Have you tried the installer menu?

You can't change the temperature with the "view temperature" button, that is viewing actual temperature, not the set point.

Instead you use the "Set temperature" button where you can cycle between water leaving temperature and DHW tank temperature and adjust them.

You have no doubt tried that and found it does not do anything.

You clearly have not discovered the bug feature in the software.  You can only adjust these temperatures when the heating mode is on.

So even though it is the middle of the summer and you don't need any heating, go and turn the heating on.  Then you will find you can adjust the hot water tank temperature.  Then go and turn the heating off again.

I can't remember if I discovered that by accident, or someone else told me.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Holy moly if this is true that's bonkers and also you're a lifesaver! 

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

You can't change the temperature with the "view temperature" button, that is viewing actual temperature, not the set point.

Instead you use the "Set temperature" button where you can cycle between water leaving temperature and DHW tank temperature and adjust them.

You clearly have not discovered the bug feature in the software.  You can only adjust these temperatures when the heating mode is on.

So even though it is the middle of the summer and you don't need any heating, go and turn the heating on.  Then you will find you can adjust the hot water tank temperature.  Then go and turn the heating off again.

Will give it a try shortly and report back. 

Thanks in advance! 

23 hours ago, JamesPa said:

The dhw temp might be an installer setting on the grounds of legionella/efficiency/general distrust of homeowners.  Have you tried the installer menu?

Hi thanks for reply. 

Yes Ive searched through the whole code input section if that's what you mean. 

I may as well outline what I've tried and why I suppose. 

Recently we didn't use the tank hardly at all as we were away, and then noticed that the hot water has an unpleasant smell to it on return. 

Googling returned that it was likely a bacterial build up and that disinfecting tank would be needed.

So I turned on the system which had been off, but remembered that the disinfectant cycle only comes on weekly, so we could be waiting a whole week for it. This is when I figured out how to program it via the the 'gear' button and going down to 26 and changing the inputs there to the desired time , and then on 27 to the temperature and duration. 

Unfortunately though this turned on the disinfection and eheater symbols, but for an unknown reason to me at this point , the tank temperature did not rise at all, let alone to the 60 and 70 degrees that i set it to. (Suspect the eheater may be not working)

So! I then thought, ok I'll just raise the tank temperature to what it can do with the heat pump as that will surely be a lot better than nothing (though I'm aware this isn't going to be enough to stop legionnaire danger, so long term will have to figure out what's up with the eheater). I'm pretty sure it can do 60degrees (currently it heats it to 48) which would eliminate a lot of bacteria and probably get rid of any odour. (It's already been much lessened by usage and having the water heating on all the time)

*Thanks for coming to my ted talk* 

And so, this is when I spent days trying to figure out how to change the tank temperature! 🤦🧐🙄

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

Right, thank you so much for that response! You were correct that when I called for heating with the thermostat, I could then go to control panel and adjust tank temperature! 

Unfortunately i still have a problem :(

it's not using the heat pump to continue to heat the tank as I'd hoped it would. 

strange to me as the tank is currently only 48°.  Instead it's trying to use the eheater which doesn't seem to do anything now. (It's already been replaced once as the original one stopped working, part of a long long saga due to dodgy installation company, Hero renewables, so bad they were featured on BBC scam trader show) 

I wonder if there's a way to use the heat pump to heat the water tank higher, or if that's simply not possible. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear from you. 

many thanks. 🙏

There are a lot of settings you can adjust, but my memory of them is a bit rusty.  I think they refer to it as stage 1 and stage 2 heating.  The default is to heat it to a certain temperature with the heat pump then use the immersion heater to get it hotter.  You can disable this 2 stage operation (I did) but then I only ask my tank to heat to 48 degrees.

It is further compunded that you can use the electric heating element built into the heat pump, or you can use an immersion heater in the tank if you have the optional control box for that ( a grey metal box containing a contactor to turn on the immersion heater when it wants to)

Your best bet is to fault find the electric heating, and for that first tell us if you have established which heating element it it trying to use?

Ah right ok, thank you. I hadn't realised it could be using two different electric heaters. 

I remember now you say there was talk of a heating element in the heat pump, but I had thought that that was to get the heat pump going or something like that. 

So in answer to you, no i don't know which it is trying to use. The symbols that showed up when I ran the disinfect operation was the 'raindrop' (💧) symbol which refers to disinfect operation, along with the 'shower and electric bolt together ' symbol (🚿) which in the manual says is 'e-heater'.

But as I say, I assumed that symbol meant the heater in the tank, because I didn't think it could be the other one in the heat pump. 

This symbol also appeared when I set the tank temp higher earlier. 

But on neither occasion did the tank temp rise above 48°. 

Do you have a grey metal box like the one partly shown in the bottom right of this picture?

Sorry that's the only photo I have, Ignore everything except the metal box with Therma V on it, do you have anything like that?  It might be near your water tank, it might be near the control panel, or in reality it could be just about anywhere else?

electric_meter.thumb.jpg.1c6cb4a3d2e22254aa0cead4913ad682.jpg

If you have one of those then that is the box that allows the ASHP to control the immersion heater in the hot water tank when it needs to heat to a hotter temperature.

If you have one, then listen to it carefully when it tries to demand very hot water, you should hear it go clonk quite loud as it energises the contactor, and then while on, it will hum probably quite quetly, you might need to put your ear to it to see if it is humming.

Hello, right ok. Sorry for slow reply, have had a lot on and not got back to this issue until now. 

Yes we have a box similar to that, and I'm familiar with the loud clonk and the buzzing. 

It's still doing clonks and buzzing when very hot water is called for, but the water is not heating up. This leads me to think the immersion rod has stopped working. This would seem a bit strange mind you, as the original one stopped working after a few years and we had it  replaced last year, so it's still fairly new. 

I wonder if you know how I could get the system to heat the water using the heater in the heat pump, until we can get the immersion rod checked out/changed. 

IMG_20230710_105248.jpg

3 hours ago, Patrick C said:

I wonder if you know how I could get the system to heat the water using the heater in the heat pump, until we can get the immersion rod checked out/changed. 

I have an LG Therma V with a newer (contemporary) controller but a box like the one in the picture.  The box allows the heat pump to control the immersion heat but it is only used if I request the DHW to be hotter than 50 C.  Since my target temperature is 50 C this only happens during the weekly Legionella cycle.  My heat pump does not use an internal immersion-type heater, I'm not sure if it's not connected or not there.  So when you ask about the heater in the heat pump I assume you want this to make the water in your tank hotter than 50 C, which the heat pump can achieve by itself without the need for supplementary heating.       

Edited by ReedRichards

I have the same set up as you if i remember correctly. The box with the contactor feeds to the heating element, and the way mine is wired, the thermostat in the immersion heater will limit the temperature it will heat the tank to no matter what temperature the controller is asking for. The thermostat incorporated with the element should be set to the highest you want the (for example) sanitation cycle. I hope i have explained this in a way it can be understanded easily.

1 hour ago, Ronny said:

the thermostat in the immersion heater will limit the temperature it will heat the tank to no matter what temperature the controller is asking for. 

Making sure the power is off, remove the thermostat cover by unscrewing the round-topped nut.  You'll see a little dial temperature setting which controls the maximum temperature the thermostat will heat to.  The immersion heater has its own thermostat which is at a different position in the tank to the temperature sensor used by the heat pump controller.  

And most immersion heaters also have a safety cut out, usually in the form of a tiny almost invisible little red button that will pop out if it gets too hot, if that has tripped push it back in and it should go click.

My tank was fitted with an independent safety cut-out.  If this is tripped then, as far as I can tell, the diverter valve does not operate so the output water from the heat pump just passes through the buffer tank and back to the heat pump.  You see the output and input water temperatures rise very rapidly until the heat pump cuts out.  The DHW tank temperature does not change.  You can still heat the DHW tank using the immersion heater when this independent cut-out is tripped.