Heat and Health

SteamyTea

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

science

Don't put people off! 🤣

I'm kind of dreading a repeat of last year. At first it seemed almost exciting having temperatures in the 30's (I knw that's the wrong attitude - and we got off lightly here!) but after a while I did feel quite odd. Difficult to put a finger on exactly but it was a bit like being squeezed. Missus definitely suffered more, but she has had issues with ear canals in the past & got quite dizzy. Was definitely scary not being able to escape the heat. That was a bit panic inducing in itself. The next time this happens we're better prepared as we've got A/C installed and can run it guilt-free from solar. We put all this kit in at the end of last year partly in response to the summer experience. It also turned out to be the most cost effective way to heat our new building over winter.

As covered in the podcast, fire is also a concern around here. We're surrounded by trees, grassland and hedgerows. I've got a decent fire break on one side of the plot but I worry about a narrow strip of wasteland that abuts one corner of my garage. It doesn't seem to belong to anybody and other people whos gardens back on to it just use it as a dumping site. Loads of garden waste, old bits of timber and other flamable junk gets deposited among the unmaintained trees that line it. Some of those are rotten Elms that have been there for ages. Fortunately we can't see any of it without going through a gate at the back of the garage (where I store my wheelbarrows and cement mixer out of view) but if a fire came through it would easily get into the eaves of the garage at the boundary and be a bugger to get to with a fire hose.