More bathroom layout issues!

As we get into the more decorative stage of the build, I am regretting some of my rather rushed decisions. There was a reason behind them at the time, but now perhaps with better designer advice we could have had "nicer" rooms, but hey ho.  They are plumbed and they are staying!

I have a downstairs toilet, with shower.  Shower is an electric shower and is unlikely to be used very often, just on the off chance we have no hot water in the thermal store. Its left for a 900 quad in the corner, but I really dont want a tray and enclosure.  Everything is plumbed so cant move it.  But do you think we could get away with a wetfloor, and if so, where would you put the screen? The shower is on the same wall as the toilet, could we put a screen opposite, beside the sink? and leave it open beside the toilet.

Secondly, in the main bathroom, I have a laundry chute behind the door.  I had wanted a tall unit to enclose this, with additional store above.  Its not really working, the kitchen fitter wont make me a unit, a thermostat will need moved, blah blah, I need ideas for the laundry chute. Do we just box it in and skim it and paint it same as the wall and put a hinged lid on top? We have a 340mm air conditioning duct, and an optional 90 degree bend.  Building control havent stipulated any specific requirements.  But on a personal level, needs to be kid proof!

With the lack of storage I was going to add a wall hung unit between the sink and shower.  Do you think we could lose the end panel on a 1400 long shower? And just have a 900 panel to the right as you go through the door? The shower is on the same wall as the door.  Concerned about the cabinet getting very splashed.

wetroom.jpg

bathroom.jpg

You could just mimic the quad enclosure with toughened glass panels.  You only really need about 300mm to stop the main splashback.  My folks had a similar shower arrangement and only put the screen in after about 2 years.  Didn't make much difference.  You just want to keep the loo roll dry

Did the joiner give any reason for not making the cabinet?  Moisture Issues?

7 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

You could just mimic the quad enclosure with toughened glass panels.  You only really need about 300mm to stop the main splashback.  My folks had a similar shower arrangement and only put the screen in after about 2 years.  Didn't make much difference.  You just want to keep the loo roll dry

Did the joiner give any reason for not making the cabinet?  Moisture Issues?

No, just the hassle of getting it to fit where it needs to go.  He said before he looked at it that he didnt really take on bathroom cabinets. He is happy to do the downstairs one, its just the bathroom one thats a pain.

Edited by Shell820810

Could you use a larder unit 400/500 wide with a 50/50 door. The bottom door is glued so won't open. Bring the chute up to slightly below the top of the glued door and level it of with ply. Most bathroom places all have books full of units, just have to pick a style to suit.

My upstairs bathroom has a 900 quadrant shower and it's fine to use. It's not the main shower.  We had an open ended shower downstairs but ended up buying 2 glass doors as the splash that came out soaked the floor each time. And that tray was 1200*900 but still splashed out.

14 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Could you use a larder unit 400/500 wide with a 50/50 door. The bottom door is glued so won't open. Bring the chute up to slightly below the top of the glued door and level it of with ply. Most bathroom places all have books full of units, just have to pick a style to suit.

My upstairs bathroom has a 900 quadrant shower and it's fine to use. It's not the main shower.  We had an open ended shower downstairs but ended up buying 2 glass doors as the splash that came out soaked the floor each time. And that tray was 1200*900 but still splashed out.

It was a larder unit I wanted, but 600 deep isnt enough for the duct with the bend on.  With the duct with the bend on we need to move the thermostat, and there isn't really room to because of the architrave.  I think it would be fine, we just need to cut a bit off the bend (red or green lines) to reduce the depth of the whole thing but he just thinks there's just too many wee things that could go wrong.  Am sure he could do it, but it's not worth the hassle to him.

It probably makes sense to keep everything below the level of the thermostat to avoid hassle, although it means losing storage.

My uncle is a joiner and is going to look at it, so I am just trying to get some ideas of what we can do that won't look like a complete eye sore!

duct.jpg

I think your joiner is being overly difficult cause he can't be arsed. 

The side panels for units can be cut to any size. 

Top storage may be too deep and high to be very useful but you could keep seasonal things no problem. 

Your uncle should be able to put something together. 

You could do all sorts there. 

My thought would be to keep it child friendly put an interactive shelf with piano hinges to the rear over the chute. You could just take it straight up if you wanted to save space.

Your picture above is also an option.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted.