first fix pipework in ceiling

crispy_wafer

Is there a convention or best practice amongst plumbers as to positioning of pipework in the ceiling void?

I'm looking at installing a number of 10mm and 15mm HEP runs along and through pozi joists, the joists are 300mm deep and am wondering where would be best to align the pipework and clips.  

These are my thoughts below, is there a better...  I think towards the top or side (A,B,C) would be better as this still allows me access to the space underneath should I need it, in reality my run only really affects a pair or 2 or joists, D allows me to fly under a UB without thinking!

image.png.e18b564a463069aca8a3498c2ad0d714.png

I put mine wherever I could fit them while trying to keep it neat. some I’ve also just cable tied to the metal webs. I didn’t add extra supports like you’ve shown though. I just screwed the clips directly to the posi-joists. 

I have pictures if that will help let me know. 

Once you get going though things just seem to work out. 

• Like 1

Guess I'm just trying too hard keep to everything neat, logical, and easy to access should I need to.  Combo of B and C I think.  Cored out the bathroom stud walls for the pipework last night so should be about ready to start feeding pipework from end to end.

8 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

My only worry would  be screws hitting them at dome stand in their lives.

So C seems safest.

Ì

our posis are 45mm thick so on clips direct attached to them in either B or D would make them in the 'safe' zone, i.e. 50mm above/below

3 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Guess I'm just trying too hard keep to everything neat, logical, and easy to access should I need to.  Combo of B and C I think.  Cored out the bathroom stud walls for the pipework last night so should be about ready to start feeding pipework from end to end.

here are some of ours. pretty neat and wasn't too much of a pain getting the clips screwed in.

image.jpeg.fce5c29c3e99dc6dde7b8a7546c8ef55.jpeg

I also attached directly to the top and bottom chords. harder to screw in but I bought one of these which was a massive help!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-extreme-1-4-hex-impact-right-angle-attachment-160mm/354px

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2023 at 14:04, crispy_wafer said:

Is there a convention or best practice amongst plumbers as to positioning of pipework in the ceiling void?

Yes . Any (expletive deleted)ing where you can 

E0367BA0-AE41-4158-A2F1-E433CECA2E7E.jpeg

• Haha 1