Polystyrene balls, what to do with fall out?

ash_scotland88

Just thought I'd get a feeling of ideas of what others may do in this situation. 1930s detached.

We have had new windows fitted, this has resulted in about two dozen black bags worth of the cavity wall insulation falling out. We don't have access to the cavity, first floor is slopped from shoulder height and the floored attic is floor to the pitch.

At some point in the future we will have more extensive works done, internal walls down, 3m+ opening on outside wall, new studs up.

My own personal thoughts of cavity wall insulation is that it's a cavity for a reason, but there is no sign of damp ingress in this house. Although having sat in a pile of the stuff while rewiring in the sun I can see the benefits having quickly got warm legs...

We used a leaf blower/vacuum to pick up the balls so there is mixed in other stuff.

So my current thoughts

1) bin/recycle the stuff and do nothing

2) cut hole(s) in the lathe and plaster to pour back in to the worst areas of loss

3) we want to eventually remove the lathe and plaster slopes, insulate between joists and board over with insulated plaster board.  Take this opportunity to pour it back in - although I don't want to hold onto the bags till that happens so purchase of new.

4) pay a company to "top-up" from outside, no doubt with new. Do this now but most likely  do it after the "bifolds" are done. As this may be done before first floor works are done.

We're at a loss what to do and all options seem a viable thing, but we could also be missing an obvious answer.

You'd think that window fitters would come around the day before and foam the cavities to stop / manage the fall-out :/ 

If the beads are now contaminated, you'll need to bin / recycle them tbh. Put them on gumtree / freecycle etc as free to collector, they'll be gone in no time.

If there is a solid sole plate, pouring back in may not be practical / possible.

I'd just wait and complete renovations, and then top back up with bonded beads. A borescope will show that the beads will have settled with gravity, so only the top should need filling back up.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You'd think that window fitters would come around the day before and foam the cavities to stop / manage the fall-out :/ 

If the beads are now contaminated, you'll need to bin / recycle them tbh. Put them on gumtree / freecycle etc as free to collector, they'll be gone in no time.

If there is a solid sole plate, pouring back in may not be practical / possible.

I'd just wait and complete renovations, and then top back up with bonded beads. A borescope will show that the beads will have settled with gravity, so only the top should need filling back up.

I think contamination is my biggest concern with regards to reuse.

The windows were replacing the original wooden ones, only chance to get to the cavity is taking the old frames out.

They did use insulation roll to stuff down the cavity to minimise it, apart from the first one which produced most of the bags!...

I have my own reservations regarding the use of it but having a quick Google on the day seems to be a standard method.

EPS beads are a very normal fill for cavity walls. Normally with plenty of PVA glue however to stop this happening We have 250mm of em. 

If you have time on your hands you can get rid of all the dirt and contamination by floating them on a paddling pool and scooping out clean.