LABC vs Independent cost

PNAmble

Building a passive standard (not certified) 200m2 new build, timber frame (bespoke).  Our builder suggested an independent building inspector would be better as they’d be more proactive and less ‘machine says no’.  

We’ve got a quote of £3000+vat from an Independent and wondering if this is a reasonable cost. 

we are in Northumberland and had a couple of rejections as their ‘nationwide local offices’ doesn’t include our area. 

Questions like this have been asked before but from what I can find not recently so 

Are independent more proactive than LABC?

is the quote we’ve had reasonable ? 

thanks 

On 23/06/2023 at 07:06, saveasteading said:

I feel yours comes in that category.

We think it’s pretty simple. The main issue is the foundations.   The problem currently with Northumberland Building control is that if I was to go Full Plan the plan review may take ‘upwards of 6 months’ (my planning took 21 weeks even though there were no objections and the plot already had permission for a larger house). So if I need a full

plan review I’ll have to go independent. 

My Architect (who I don’t think understands value/cost dimensions and likes trying to spend my money on consultants) believes I should do a Full
Plan review to mitigate (his?) risk.

I’m thinking why bother and just get a building notice and him visiting the site,  once we have the technical drawings we will be removing the architect.    

I need a warranty etc as will be on a self build mortgage for 60% of the build

costs. 

My partner is a mechanical engineers and CAD/REVIT expert who supports building services companies on commercial projects. So we sort of ‘know stuff’ 

Are we trying to save money in the wrong place by not doing a Full Plan review. 🤔

1 hour ago, PNAmble said:

Are we trying to save money in the wrong place by not doing a Full Plan review?

no. Not if you are confident with your design.

Sounds to me like a case for building notice. They're just too busy to approve the whole design.

Why not have a chat with local independents.?

6 months for a single house plan check! Are they serious?

Let's ignore warranties and just deal with Building Control. Two systems - LABC and Approved Inspector (AI).

The LABC system is the default - they can't refuse an application. All LA's publish their fee scale and these are meant to to be pitched at a level to cover the cost of providing the service. They are the enforcing authority and can prosecute for breaches of Building Regulations. If an AI cannot certify a project as complete or feels they have to withdraw, then the scheme reverts to LABC control.

They tend to be cheaper than AI's but you only have a single choice within your Council area (although many LABCs have amalgamated across several local authority boundaries). Some LABC offices are good, some are poor and not always fairly so. My plot is in an area where I discovered on Tuesday, only has two full time staff left in post. It brings in three agency staff for three days a week to help out but will not up salaries to attract staff. How can that provide a service?

AI's are private companies. They charge what they think is reasonable for their services. They are not limited to a geographical area but they may add to their fee estimate if the site lies a long way from their office. Again you can get good ones or bad. Depends whether you simply want that piece of paper at the end or someone actually checking what you are doing complies. I tend to use AI's in areas where the LA is poor, but are happy to use LABC where they work well (that's for my client's benefit).

Going back to the 6 month plan check. Section 16 of the Building Act 1984 requires a LA to pass or refuse a deposited plan within the "relevant period" which is 5 weeks from the deposit of the plans (which can be extended by up to two months with agreement). If the plans are approved by the LA or not refused within the relevant period, then the LA may not institute enforcement proceedings in relation to the proposed work that is carried out in accordance with those plans. In effect, if the plans aren't refused within the statute set period then effectively the scheme can be built in accordance with those plans regardless.

So a six month plan check time is worthless. If the plans aren't refused in five weeks then you can proceed with the scheme as presented to the Council.

AI's aren't so constrained, they tend not to worry so much about the plans as they are required to certify completion. Since the work on site is more important anyway they tend to focus more on that. It's a lot more flexible although I have noticed that they get a bit edgy about projects taking a long time to progress on site (something to do with their registration organisation). LA's on the other hand are happy for jobs to take years.......

So, if you don't have a good reference for an AI then don't ignore the LA option but try to ask around local builders if you can to get feedback on their performance.