Struggling to get Insurance

GrantMcscott

Hi

My self build insurance lapsed and now they are refusing to insure me due to the stage I am at and living in the property.  I am struggling to find someone to insure the building due to not have a completion cert and house signed off

Does anyone know who would insure me?

I moved in and went from self-build insurance to a home insurance cover using Towergate - I went through where we were at explaining all remaining works etc. with their underwriter. A few hundred quid more a year than normal buildings and contents insurance.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Happy Valley said:

We were living in the house prior to sign off and used Intelligent Insurance. They wanted to know at various stages how the works were going.

https://www.intelligentinsurance.co.uk/

13 hours ago, SimonD said:

I moved in and went from self-build insurance to a home insurance cover using Towergate - I went through where we were at explaining all remaining works etc. with their underwriter. A few hundred quid more a year than normal buildings and contents insurance.

Contacted both companies and they will not cover without completion certificate

On 22/06/2023 at 10:31, GrantMcscott said:

Contacted both companies and they will not cover without completion certificate

Strange - they covered us from July 2022 and we got our building completion cert in Jan 2023. Maybe their insurers have altered their terms. 

1 hour ago, Happy Valley said:

Strange - they covered us from July 2022 and we got our building completion cert in Jan 2023. Maybe their insurers have altered their terms. 

Same here. I've even just renewed with them for another year.

On 21/06/2023 at 12:09, GrantMcscott said:

due to the stage I am at

What stage are you at? And I wonder, are you in Scotland?

• 5 months later...

@GrantMcscott have you managed to get anywhere with your insurance ?

My selfbuild policy with Aviva is up at the begining of January and on the last renewal they said that they wouldn't renew again as I'd had the policy for 4yrs now, even though I've paid the premium.s up front and never made a claim.

They're now saying that they'll give me a final 3 month extension at a cost of nearly 2k but this would 100% be their final extension.

My local broker who has been sorting this for me has said that as long as I can "live" even as a make do hobo in the property then I can go over to normal house insurance, she then passed me over to their private broker department who I cannot get any reply from.

I've tried Intelligent insurance and Gsi, who have also put me through to various telephone search engines with no luck, the last one I spoke to was meant to call me back but hasn't and because I'd gone through this telesales engine system I have no contact for them.  

I can get my place to a make do livable position early next year but there's no chance of it being fully signed off until the end of 2024 but can't seem to find anyone to insure me.

2 hours ago, Barnboy said:

@GrantMcscott have you managed to get anywhere with your insurance ?

My selfbuild policy with Aviva is up at the begining of January and on the last renewal they said that they wouldn't renew again as I'd had the policy for 4yrs now, even though I've paid the premium.s up front and never made a claim.

They're now saying that they'll give me a final 3 month extension at a cost of nearly 2k but this would 100% be their final extension.

My local broker who has been sorting this for me has said that as long as I can "live" even as a make do hobo in the property then I can go over to normal house insurance, she then passed me over to their private broker department who I cannot get any reply from.

I've tried Intelligent insurance and Gsi, who have also put me through to various telephone search engines with no luck, the last one I spoke to was meant to call me back but hasn't and because I'd gone through this telesales engine system I have no contact for them.  

I can get my place to a make do livable position early next year but there's no chance of it being fully signed off until the end of 2024 but can't seem to find anyone to insure me.

Hi

I never got this resolved and have had no insurance for nearly a year now