Bungalow extension and garden reorganisation

StevieP

Hello, I’m Steve. My wife and I are in the process of planning a bungalow extension to make it a family home to last us for 30+ years. We’re hoping to utilise as much of the original footprint whilst adding a second storey over part of the structure. Currently we have a planning application in with the council. 

I’ve posed a question regarding the planning application (see link below)

Other things to know about the project - essentially it’s a complete refurbishment. New windows, doors, electrics, heating, render and roof. After a long cold winter, we’re hoping to get the property retrofitted with as many energy saving measures as we can afford. Looking at good ground insulation over the existing concrete base, internal wall insulation and possibly an external layer as well. If we can get the property air-tight we will, and then would look to some form of mechanical ventilation. Also we’re exploring heat-pump options as an alternative to a gas boiler. We may get solar fitted if the budget allows.

We don’t want to significantly increase the footprint of the property as they’re is garden on all sides, so we’re hoping the existing foundations can take an additional 3ft or so of masonry to give us three or four bedrooms upstairs. We would need to gable three sides which are currently hipped roof to give us the headroom upstairs.

TLDR it’s bIg bungalow conversion/renovation that we want to turn into a forever family home.

Steve

We have managed three complete renovations plus one new build. You have no idea what you will find during a renovation. All sorts of unseen problems crop up and add significantly to the stress and the cost. Bungalows are particularly fraught with problems due to extensions blocking light from existing rooms.

As above I would knock it down and build the home that you need. 

In the back of my head I have a feeling that there is no law against knocking your own house down. You would of course need planning consent to build a replacement but if you start out with a modest rebuild and add in some extras as you go along it might be easier to get it past the planners?