Plaster and tiles

In bathrooms I plan to have walls that are tiled up to a height and then plastered above that height. How should I approach this? Blockwork background. I can think of:

1. Bare blocks for tiling and put a batten or something on the wall and plasterer comes down to that

2. HardWall and MultiFinish plaster & skim whole area and tile in top

3. Sand&Cement plaster whole area and skim down to a line. Tile over bare S&C plaster

4. Tile bare blockwork before plastering

5. Something I haven't thought of 🙂

20 minutes ago, nod said:

Unless they are very heavy tiles 

Dot and dab with moister boards and skim part way 

If they are heavy 10 mil plus S&C 

Wife is full of opinions but not decisions so probably makes sense to S&C. Also, not a fan of D&D.

Edited by MortarThePoint

Dot and dab is fine and has a warmer feel than sand and cement I dot and dabbed our last build and will do the same with this one Only about 20% of my business is wet plaster 20 years ago it was the other way round Times change 

its down to personal choice 

6 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Good question. Not given much thought but intended to use waterproof tile adhesive and waterproof grout. Any recommendations?

neither grout or tile adhesive is truly waterproof afaik

Some people use tanking on top of s&c render which provides a true waterproof layer.

a waterproofing strategy should include the failure of grout and adhesive, it’s worst case scenario stuff so if it happens your covered

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

neither grout or tile adhesive is truly waterproof afaik

Some people use tanking on top of s&c render which provides a true waterproof layer.

a waterproofing strategy should include the failure of grout and adhesive, it’s worst case scenario stuff so if it happens your covered

I was planning to use a tanking kit in the shower but not the rest of the room (e.g. not near bath).

• 2 months later...

Once over we would render the reveals But now most have cavity closers So if there’s enough room we line them with plasterboard Or with most of the tilt and some of the Ally frames We simply finish the edge with a stop bead and tile directly onto the block reveals 

• Thanks 1