Recommendation for LED strip cabinet light

Adsibob

I am having a cabinet/drop down desk being built which is about 67cm wide. The cabinet door drops down and forms a desk, and within the cabinet is our home PC. It would be useful to have an LED strip fixed into a  routered out channel of the top of the cabinet carcass, which is 27mm thick. 

Can anybody recommend an LED strip that comes in warm white (I prefer 2800K but anything between 2800K and 3000k is fine) and that can be switched on by the cabinet being opened and switched off by the cabinet being closed? It would need to be around 60cm or 65cm wide.

There is an IKEA option which at 60cm is the right size. But at 1.8cm It’s probably a bit too think to conceal as l within a 27mm thick piece of carcass. Also, it has mixed reviews, so not sure if it’s any good and I don’t need all the smart tech, just a sensor that works.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/skydrag-led-wrktp-ward-lghtng-strp-w-sensor-dimmable-white-10529109/

3 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Can you give an example of a microswitch please @TonyT?  I Googled it, but didn’t get consistent results. Is it PIR or just push activated?

I use these LINK and you just swipe your hand in front of them, a-la a mirror light bathroom cabinet. 

For LED strip just go on Amazon / other and buy a 5m roll for cheap as chips and you can cut these every 3 LED's to the length you want. Look for one that is a kit so you get the PSU etc with it.

50 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I use these LINK and you just swipe your hand in front of them, a-la a mirror light bathroom cabinet. 

Thanks, but I’m not sure this would work how I intended. The description give by Mr Bezos is: “The sensor turns on when detect the hand movement at a distance of 5-6 cm, and turns off the light on the next hand movement.”

But I’m looking for something that will only turn on by opening the cabinet, and ONLY turn off by closing it. That’s because the cabinet is a drop down desk and so I want the light to be on as a reminder to my family to close the cabinet/desk when not in use.

5 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks, but I’m not sure this would work how I intended. The description give by Mr Bezos is: “The sensor turns on when detect the hand movement at a distance of 5-6 cm, and turns off the light on the next hand movement.”

But I’m looking for something that will only turn on by opening the cabinet, and ONLY turn off by closing it. That’s because the cabinet is a drop down desk and so I want the light to be on as a reminder to my family to close the cabinet/desk when not in use.

They'd only be able to turn the light on once it is opened. Job done.

6 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Thanks, had just found that page. This looks like it could work, but I would need wiring running into the door presumably? https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FM141WB.html

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

They'd only be able to turn the light on once it is opened. Job done.

And leave the cupboard/desk open, but switch the light off by just swiping the sensor, right? If so that won’t work.

Edited by Adsibob

Sure there could be a block of wood on the inside of the door that hits the micro switch 

I found when I did mine 20 years ago it was best to have the parts to let the joiner see what was involved, how much travel the microswitch has etc

im sure there are options in the Hafele catalogue but don’t know that one so well compared to the TLC one

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Just need to position it so the glare / reflection doesn't affect the user (from reflection off the monitor).

Indeed. This is all proving quite complicated. Here is a cross section to show the design of the unit:

IMG_1375.thumb.jpeg.0d43f82f09bf5dfbf7663197821fb04a.jpeg

we want the light to project forward slightly, so it illuminates the drop down desk, so I probably need a fairly low beam angle.

Dispersion is pretty much unmanageable with LED strips.

Would you not be better off installing the strip near to the inside edge of the upper opening ‘door’? 
You can then have a stubby timber pelmet which stops the light from shining ‘inwards’. 

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Dispersion is pretty much unmanageable with LED strips.

Would you not be better off installing the strip near to the inside edge of the upper opening ‘door’? 
You can then have a stubby timber pelmet which stops the light from shining ‘inwards’. 

Possibly, although surely a timber pelmet could act as a diffuser along the top just as easily. Alternatively, should I be looking at a GU10 bulb light fitting, with a bulb that has a 12 or 24 degree beam angle, and get one of those light fittings that allows you to angle the bulb slightly? Or a miniaturised version of that:

https://mastertrade.co.uk/ans-aigled-ww-ansell-aigled-ww-downlight-led-3w-w-w.html

Edited by Adsibob

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

I considered a desk light, there should just be enough storage for it and we have sockets for the computer which could easily be expanded, but how do you activate it to come on when the desk is opened and off when the desk is closed?