I've just been looking at the gov site for what I can add to my reclaim VAT list,  in probably about 5 years by the time the build is finished.

Now, as I'm sure many know there are some strange things.

I can claim for paint, but does that include the paint we use for marking lines ?

I then spotted that you can claim for 'manure' !!!

You can claim for top soil, but not turf

You can't claim for trees unless planning said you must have them.

You can't claim for underlay of carpets, but can claim for underlay used for other flooring such as timber.

I can already see that this is going to be complicated.

Hey ho.

12 minutes ago, LSB said:

but can claim for underlay used for other flooring such as timber.

this is good to know. although many on here recommend to glue directly to the 22mm chipboard for a more solid feel rather than a floating floor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

this is good to know. although many on here recommend to glue directly to the 22mm chipboard for a more solid feel rather than a floating floor.

+1, I have just moved to a cottage with a floating floor and it sounds hollow underfoot 😱

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

+1, I have just moved to a cottage with a floating floor and it sounds hollow underfoot 😱

it's a tough call this one as i'm trying to reduce sound transmission from bedrooms upstairs and they will have engineered wood flooring. so an underlay of sorts will help reduce impact noise transmission but won't give as solid a feel. it's kind of a rock and a hard place scenario!

• Like 1

Sand paper, pencils and masking tape ae also not allowed so doubt the marking out paint is either, most consumables are excluded. 
the wooden floor under lay is allowable as the theory is the top wooden floor becomes part of the fixtures and fittings but carpet and carpet underlay can all be removed easily. think of selling a house and what you would tend not remove v what you could remove.

On 02/06/2023 at 11:18, LSB said:

I've just been looking at the gov site for what I can add to my reclaim VAT list,  in probably about 5 years by the time the build is finished.

Now, as I'm sure many know there are some strange things.

I can claim for paint, but does that include the paint we use for marking lines ?

I then spotted that you can claim for 'manure' !!!

You can claim for top soil, but not turf

You can't claim for trees unless planning said you must have them.

You can't claim for underlay of carpets, but can claim for underlay used for other flooring such as timber.

I can already see that this is going to be complicated.

Hey ho.

Strictly speaking for a new build you can only claim for materials bought supply only that you used in the fabric of the build. So marker paint for lines isn’t covered but paint is so just note it as paint and put the invoice in. 

You can claim for turf. It’s artificial turf that’s not eligible as it’s like carpet I guess. Hard landscaping, boundary fencing and gates (not electric components), topsoil and turf are all eligible. As you note you can only claim for trees and plants if part of a defined landscaping scheme. 

Carpets and thus underlay are not eligible but underlay for hard flooring is as hard flooring is eligible. Blinds are now eligible but curtains are not, but curtain poles are. There are definitely some nuances but most things are pretty straightforward really. 

The main thing to ensure is that you are invoiced at the correct VAT rate, especially if your build is going to take some time. For labour and supply & fit (for eligible work) a new build should be zero rated. HMRC will not refund VAT incorrectly charged so ensure that the VAT rate is agreed before you instruct the builder to do the work. If the invoice is wrong get it sorted straightaway, before you pay it as it’s much easier to do it then rather than trying to get a refund later. VAT adjustments can only go back 4 years so no good asking a business for a VAT refund from 5 years ago, or if they have gone out of business or if they have de registered for VAT. 

Also ensure that you have a proper invoice as HMRC will refuse pro forma invoices or ‘orders’. They will allow some retail till receipts but best to get a proper VAT invoice for larger spends. They often ask for window schedules if a breakdown isn’t on the invoice so if you have bought windows supply only save yourself some time and attach the window schedule to the invoice when you send the claim in. Similarly for kitchen cupboards or other large purchases for multiple items if there is not a decent breakdown on the invoice. You can send the schedule in later but you will get that invoice refused initially so just send it up when you submit the claim. 

There are some other nuances such as equipment hired is standard rated but a machine hired with a driver is zero rated. 

You could do worse than to have a read through this thread that covers quite a lot of these nuances (but probably not all). HMRC isn’t always consistent either. For example sometimes they have allowed a reclaim for a hob with built in ventilation and other times they have not. Luck of the draw in terms of who you get checking your claim really. Some builders don’t want the perceived hassle of zero rating either so sometimes you have to rule some builders out or bite the bullet and pay the VAT. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/06/2023 at 15:09, joe90 said:

You sold your lovely self build?! 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

You sold your lovely self build?! 

No, judge decided I could not keep it after divorce (don’t ask). But I am very happy with my new cottage in the Forest of Dean and closer to family 👍

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, judge decided I could not keep it after divorce (don’t ask). But I am very happy with my new cottage in the Forest of Dean and closer to family 👍

Oh sorry to hear that. Glad you are happy in your new abode though. I sold my self build and am looking for somewhere nearer family too now. 

• Thanks 1