Rehau Rio astragal bar issue

Dan1983

Evening all,

We have Rehau Rio flush casement windows installed on the build with astragal bars.

since the build was completed we have had issues with the bars popping away from panes.

This has been on our snagging list since august last year but builder is only just addressing it.

Rehau not that helpful at the moment.

Independent fitter has been out today and said the bars need double sided tape to hold them down but the Rehau system is meant to be tapeless to keep the rubber seal in contact with the pane etc.

In my opinion the bars have been cut too long allowing for no expansion gap making them bow in the heat.

Some of the internal bars have been recut on-site to make them fit which also makes me think this.

Has anyone encountered this type of issue before?

i feel I’m being fobbed off by saying they should be taped, possibly need re doing each year is what we were told today!

Edited by Dan1983

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

just to derail your thread, the mrs wanted bars on the new windows but they cannot pass new regs with them. ruins the U value apparently....

Then there is a seriously issue with the window being sourced.

They don’t kill the u value, they impact it certainly but they don’t kill it. They actually help with overheating & it depends on whether the bars have a spacer or not between the bars.

6 hours ago, craig said:

They don’t kill the u value, they impact it certainly but they don’t kill it. They actually help with overheating & it depends on whether the bars have a spacer or not between the bars.

30% drop in performance from 0.8 to 1.2, pretty bad.

image.thumb.png.10ccb8b3b6a8b3e11e4a7c123183d41d.png

That's why reading information without knowing what it's saying can be confusing and lead to wrong information being supplied. So basically what that is telling you is the following.

"If" you have glazing bars you jump from 0.84W/m2K to 1.2W/m2K, what it it is not telling you is this "Uw values may deviate with the additions of astragal/Georgian bars, 1 bar horizontal + 0.1 Uw, several horizontal bars + 0.2Uw. Glass separating astragal bars (spacers behind the astragal, dividing the glass unit) + 0.4 Uw" .That result although correct, it's also incorrect because it is not given you all of the information and you're jumping to the conclusion that if you add Georgian bars/astragals/feature bars or whatever you wish to call them, they kill the u value. They don't.

What impacts the u value (overall Uw) - is breaking the glazing unit up from 1 unit, into several units by using spacer bars behind the Georgian bars. It's incorrect to say that it's the Georgian bars that are solely responsible.

• 6 months later...

We are still working this issue for info!

Rehau kindly got involved and sent a rep round to measure up for all new bars.
Unfortunately when they arrived they forgot to subtract the width of the horizontal bar so ended up way too long to fit!

As it stands we still need bars cut to length and some glazing removed so the correct fittings can be attached.

Original installers long gone and now 18 months in since first reported to builder.

Going to have to see if we can find another installer that will carry out the work I think