Brass hydrosure hose end connector not working

Adsibob

I bought various components to make an irrigation system, including this brass hose end connector with Waterstop: https://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/hydrosure-brass-hose-end-connector-with-waterstop-13mm-1-2.html

The way this should work is that when it is connected, water can pass through it, but when it’s not, water doesn’tpass through. Well I can’t get any water through it. Shaking it about whilst disconnected to anything, I can feel the valve open and close, so it’s not jammed. Don’t understand why it’s not working. Also surprised by how small the holes are to let water through.

Anyone have experience of this? What am I doing wrong? Seems crazy it just doesn’t work out the box.

The tap is switched on, yes I do have a brain.

I have a tap splitter like this https://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/geka-plus-four-way-tap-connector.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw1MajBhAcEiwAagW9MVC-yPIHsf03s4CQwx8aH9zt5jco6lFwAiYRqDqFrkZ4nqz3SphUxBoCHAkQAvD_BwE

screwed to the tap. I have three of the outlets closed, and the fourth is open. It is to the open one which I’ve connected the hose end connector. With it disconnected, plenty of water comes out the male end of this fourth outlet of the tap spitter. The brass hose end connector’s female connection clicks into place nicely when coupled with the male connector of the hose splitter. But no water comes through.

I’m wondering if this brass hose end connector with Waterstop has a one way valve fitted to it, and is designed to only work at the other end of the hose? 

Edited by Adsibob

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

I’m wondering if this brass hose end connector with Waterstop has a one way valve fitted to it, and is designed to only work at the other end of the hose

I had a similar design, but in plastic.

Worked well if I used the right fittings, squirted water everywhere when I used a generic male fitting.

2 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

The tap is switched on, yes I do have a brain.

Always worth checking.

They are spring loaded so you won’t hear a rattle - have you got the spigot / tap connector or the attachment to suit as they only work with the same brand ones..? I run all their stuff and it works fine 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

I had a similar design, but in plastic.

Worked well if I used the right fittings, squirted water everywhere when I used a generic male fitting.

Always worth checking.

My plastic connector broke, so I thought I would upgrade to brass, as not that much difference in price. But so far a complete fail.

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

They are spring loaded so you won’t hear a rattle - have you got the spigot / tap connector or the attachment to suit as they only work with the same brand ones..? I run all their stuff and it works fine 

Well I bought the Geka tap splitter, which as you can see from the above link, has an integrated male connector at each outlet. The brass hose end connector is by a different manufacturer, Hydrosure, but it was all bought from the same supplier Waterirrigation.co.uk, so I assumed all their products have universal connections. The “click” sounds solid, but maybe there is an incompatibility. If one uses this Geka tap splitter, which female ended hose connector are you meant to use with it?

They are primitive and sensitive. Brass ones come apart for cleaning but there can be spare ball bearings.

Reasons mine have failed.  

1 wrong way round.

2. Incompatibility m/f

3.worn out.

The most common failure is the junction uncoupling and not shutting off.

So after some testing, I’ve worked out that it must have a one way valve in it. Bizarre, because every Gardena and Hozelock connector I’ve used has always been two-way.

Other disappointment is zero instructions provided by WaterIrrigation.co.uk for their “HydroSure Heavy Duty Garden Impulse Sprinkler on Spike”. Currently sprinkling in a 330 degree arc when all I want is 180. Also not clear it’s actually fit for purpose ad seems too water the grass far away from the sprinkler, and right by the sprinkler, but not in the area between. I guess I will find some instructions online, but not even a note with their packaging that directs you to their website for instructions.