Patio Extension

It wasn't ME who started this!

A couple of members have been to my place and will likely agree the amount of work needed etc.

After a hard 5 days last week I came home and as I pulled up in the drive could hear a digger. I walked round the back and SWMBO's first words were "Don't moan..."

The house is surrounded by mismatched paths and patios in some cases patios over cracked patios! The common theme is that they either slope towards the house, are higher than the internal floor levels...or both! 😂 Really it all needs to come up.

Anyway...we'd discussed extending the patio area a few weeks back. I suggested doing the opposite side of the house first so we could store various materials out of sight, sort the drains etc. It would appear that fell on deaf ears. 

On a whim she'd gotten her brother with his digger to, well...start digging!

20230520_163211

20230520_163157

Various reptiles & amphibians appeared and were safely relocated. He then dislodged an old clay soil pipe along with the bees nest and got stung. The "Don't moan..." was because he'd also found the oil pipe! 😂 I did a 180 on the path and shot down to Screwfix for a few 10mm pipe couplers.

Been pegging out the excavation tonight using the laser to see what levels I have.

Paving slabs are coming free hopefully. Aiming for this to be as cheap as possible. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got the BiL to kindly take a few inches  more out of the new patio area. It exposed the old water pipe that used to feed the piggery that was adjacent years ago. Should have plenty of depth now for some hardcore now and end up with this area level with the floor inside the house. The long term plan is to lower all the paved areas around the house.

IMG_20230608_175921298

• 4 weeks later...

Came home and saw a weird, flint sticking out of the bank where we've dug out to extend the patio:

IMG-20230704-WA0009

The plain side:

IMG-20230704-WA0011

A quick clean in the sink with the scrubbing brush:

IMG-20230704-WA0005

IMG-20230704-WA0006

IMG-20230704-WA0013

Any thoughts as to what it is? Bone?

Edited by Onoff

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Inside a flint 🤷‍♂️

Yep. Tbh this type of "inclusion" is pretty common to round here. My brother is good at spotting them. Came down one day and I'd unearthed a tennis ball shaped flint. He said "There's a fossil in that!"

Gave it a sharp tap with a club hammer and we've a perfect sea anemone / tribolite type thing. I'll try and find it and put a photo up.

This one though he has no idea. Suggested I contact the British Museum. 

Best guess is a belemnite fossil. Like an ancient squid but with an internal skeleton. I'm giving it to the girl who identified it as she's been seriously ill and thought it might cheer her up. 

• Like 1

Every day is a school day, I didn’t know this…..

Flints are concretions that grew within the sediment after its deposition by the precipitation of silica; filling burrows/cavities and enveloping the remains of marine creatures, before dehydrating and hardening into the microscopic quartz crystals which constitute flint.