Soil/Waste runs

crispy_wafer

I made a decision a while back that the pipe runs that we agreed with the builder were cack and a mistake on my part for agreeing. 

Issues

The septic tank arrangement I found out when connecting to it was rubbish, the inlet was lower than the outlet.  The pipework must back up until it finds a level, and then just self manages itself.  Unfortunately the point where I needed to connect the soil pipe from the build to it was under this level - inspection chamber would be constantly full of effluent, and not really something I could live with knowing about.

The builder left inspection chambers where I didnt really want them.  1, 2 steps infront of the back door was getting on my t*t's in particular...

So I settled on the decision that a treatment plant will go in to deal with the waste from the new build.  The placement of this necessitated some alteration of the installed pipework, so a meeting with the building inspector was arranged and new pipe runs and inspection chamber layout agreed.

So following a few weeks of dry weather, I hired a .7t micro and set about digging the trenches, removing the previous pipework and generally making a mess!

image.thumb.png.47cfddf7c2310f0929f7ee760f4d9821.png

image.thumb.png.55ecb46f5d94d2d9d5fb17d93cfddfa0.png

image.thumb.png.d0f69a241727df5173b4db6b78be1552.png

So, after making the mess, I set about running some string lines to get a feel for the new pipe runs.

Mummy duck having a snack before she goes to sit on her eggs.

image.png.b105d4f1df63049dd79abb1bf62900ca.png

I Installed an inspection chamber and started laying some pipework.

image.thumb.png.6f07ffb12fe4023f2b23ad1f067f1b01.png

higher powers decided that we must have some rain, and if you look closely you can see the 3 remnants of pipework that was leading under my garden to another inspection chamber.  String line also in place to make sure my new ic's are inline and same distance from house.

image.thumb.png.46418fd48f402538da9b2bddeab520ac.png

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

why such big chambers ?

They are bloody expensive!

They are the 450mm ones.

1) Easier to work with from an install perspective

2) Going to be a couple of risers deep, probably 600-700mm when I've built the ground up round the build, so I felt they'd be easier to get into if I ever need to.

3) Trying to do a 'proper job', not necessarily a cheap job, so that may mean i spend a bit more and overkill it sometimes - but that's a fault of mine, and not having much previous experience/trust to call on I'd sooner go a bit further than regret it later on.

I'll post up the rest of the pics tomorrow.

Edited by crispy_wafer

Nah, I see your point I think, my OCD was going into overdrive.  I wanted the IC's the same distance from the wall and in line - crazy but I'm going to see it everyday, and I know it'd pee me off if they were on the p*ss

• Haha 1

Just for a bit of context, a bit of CAD...

Of how the pipe run was.  2 ic's in the garden, and 1 quite literally 1 pace infront of the utility room door.

image.thumb.png.7d70e6daf0d027b82ea8b31d184d9326.png

and my plan, the WTP will be > 7m

image.thumb.png.9616af41f5f84e04c1ce0858032e4ff6.png

Edited by crispy_wafer
hitting go before reading through

So, in thinking I was just about done with this lot, I thought I'd air test all the pipes it in preparation for calling the building inspector.

All held pressure solidly, apart from 1 section, which just happens to be 9m of pipework under the floor, and 9m of pipework I didn't install, joint issue in the middle or joint at the rest bend have to be the causes, cant think there would be any other point.  I'm mightily peeved that I cant get to the pipework to rectify, floor's been screeded, and ufh pipes are down.  And even more peeved that for some reason I trusted the eejit that laid the pipework to do a solid job.

Anyway, what can one do about pipework that doesn't hold pressure?  We are talking about 15-20mm drop on the mano gadget over about 10 minutes.  I'd tested it multiple times yesterday afternoon isolating any joints external to the build.  

Sorted it, managed to break just enough screed, insulation, and block to get at the rest bend, she held it down with a bit of 4*2 whilsts I pulled the stub pipe out with some grips.  The bit of pipe as per had been cut and chamferred with his stihl saw and looked like a sharks mouth.  Noticed the rubber seal had a nice U shape in it where he'd pushed the pipe in.  Result!  Swapped the seal from another fitting, new bit of pipe. 

Felt like that was a bit of last chance saloon!

BI round today to do an inspection then I can fill the trenches, do another quick test.  Then plan out the waste treatment plant.