Changing to combi boiler

After having my house flooded due to a burst pipe in the loft of my bungalow, I am considering making some changes re my heating system. I want to replace the boiler as I have had nothing but problems with the one I have had for approx 8 years. I'd also like to get all of the water tank, pipes etc out of my loft as I will always live in dread of the same thing happening again. A combi boiler has been suggested, but I have some reservations.

1) My bungalow is L-shaped. The existing boiler is in an unheated garage at the furthest corner of one extreme of the L, and my bathroom and ensuite are in the other L along with the hot water cylinder and header tank etc. So there are quite long pipe runs. My showers are presently powered by a pump in the airing cupboard and I understand that if I went for a combi set-up, the shower pump would disappear along with all the other gubbins of the old system and the hot water would come to the showers directly from the boiler. Would this not affect the pressure I could potentially get? The plumber I've spoken to says that I should probably find that the pressure is better but I find it hard to understand how that can be so?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions. 

Just now, TonyT said:

How many people in the property ?

How many bathrooms?

any solar PV at the moment or any plans  to get some?

Forever home?

2 people, 2 bathrooms, no solar or plans to do so, yes forever home.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You would do well to check the pressure and flow rate of the incoming main, as that will be a limiting factor in the performance of the combi.

Thanks, will find out how and do it next time I'm there.

2 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

Ideal Logic + Heat 30.

Must have been a poor installer? I’ve fitted loads of Ideal logics, mostly combis, great little boilers. 
If you have attic space, then I’d look at putting the combi in the attic and as central as possible. 
Leaks come from old knackered plumbing or equipment, or poor workmanship. Don’t write off anything going up there, as it’s a neat solution we often went to, to preserve space in smaller homes. 

• Like 2

Agree with the comments above, a poor installer can make anything look like a bag of nails.

spend time looking for a decent installer, finding recommendations etc

put together a specification so that you know the quotes will all be on the same scope of works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1