Render oooops.... too dry for the render mesh. Can it be rescued?

I'm rendering a wall in what proves to be the hottest day so far: despite a forecast of overcast. I thought it was an ideal day. 

But.

The first coat dried faster than I thought it would: consequently  the render mesh wouldn't embed in the mortar.

Warran eejit - all I needed to do was put the first layer on for a meter or so and then press the mesh into that. But I had the bit between my teeth.

Can I put the render mesh on the wall at the same time as the next 'layer' ? In other words put the mesh on the scratch layer at the same time as the render for the top coat?

A technique I learned from Germany with thin coat render (especially on ewi) was to apply a first layer of basecoat which you apply with a toothed (8mm usually fine) at an angle. Let this set and then apply another coat within which you embed the mesh.This way it's easier to ensure the mesh is at the correct and uniform depth, especially if, like me, you're not well practised at it. But it also makes it easier to avoid this situation by applying by the meter with each application of mesh. I've also found that this second coat seems to stay wet for a little longer too.

• Like 1