Does updated Part L of building regs apply to an extension of a listed building?

See last sentence of Paragraph 3: https://tomspriggs.com/2022-changes-to-the-building-regulations-for-extensions-part-l/

I have not looked specifically but I had not heard anything re consequential improvements for domestic bldgs. I have actually been wishing for years that they did apply!

*Now I have had another look, and realise why I had not kept it in mind*

Is your house over 1000m2? - (Is anybody's house over 1000m2 except the very very monied few?)

"12.1 For an existing dwelling with a total useful floor area of over 1000m2 , additional work may be required to improve the overall energy efficiency of the dwelling if proposed work consists of or includes any of the following. a. An extension. b. Providing any fixed building service in the dwelling for the first time. c. Increasing the capacity of any fixed building service (which does not include doing so on account of renewable technology). Consequential improvements should be carried out to ensure that the dwelling complies with Part L of the Building Regulations, to the extent that they are technically, functionally and economically feasible. 12.2 Technical guidance on consequential improvements is given in Approved Document L, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings."

Here in NI there is a get-out clause for listed buildings. Check with your local BCO but be prepared to have the current legislation applied to your extension. The following relates to the conservation of fuel and power in buildings.

"Protected buildings District councils have a duty to take account of the desirability to preserve the character of protected buildings when carrying out their functions under Building Regulations. Therefore, where work is to be carried out to a protected building to comply with Part F or any other Part of the Building Regulations, special consideration may be given to the extent of such work for compliance where it would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of the building. Protected buildings are defined in Article 3A(2) of the Building Regulations (Northern Ireland) Order 1979 (as amended)."

Don't fall in to the assumption I did, you need listed building consent prior to starting any work, as well as planning consent. They are very different things and different paperwork and departments.  And you have to tell them about internal stuff as well as external stuff you change, even if it's normally permitted development.

Check out listed building regs also, as they trump planning regs.

• 2 weeks later...

Applicable to England. Look at paragraph 0.8 of the Approved Document to Part L - Conservation of Fuel and Power Volume 1 - Dwellings (it's on line). The approved document sets out the basic standards that, if followed would comply with the technical requirements of the Building Regulations.

So that paragraph gives examples of certain types of buildings that do not have to meet all the energy efficiency requirements. Sub-para a) covers listed buildings. 

As mentioned above if your dwelling is more than 1000m2 then some consequential improvements may be needed if you are extending, but again the fall back is para 0.8 for listed buildings. 

This is building regulations only - see JohnMo above, listed building consent is much stricter than planning consent and there are big fines for getting it wrong.