PV Panels on Timber or Aluminium lean to

Seren161

We have an existing 5.3kWp installation consisting of about 16 Solarwatt panels on our south facing elevation and our garage roof… Having had a chance to assess our usage, we want to add about 4 panels to the string on our garage ( standard masonry construction) by adding a sturdy lean to and mounting these panels on the roof of the lean to and subsequently add battery storage to maximise our consumption.

They are the Vision 325Wp ones and they weigh 22kg each and are about 1700mm by 1000mm.

Wondering what we should be aware of when constructing the structure to make sure it is sturdy enough and adequate for the heavy panels and mounting system.

Some of the kit lean to’s I’ve seen look flimsy, oak ones seem sturdy..but wondering if anyone can recommend or advise?

TIA

FCC6F01B-97CA-4BBD-BB7D-DD545196E362.thumb.jpeg.a1f50dd511233a6b8483fc69cf996b8d.jpeg6D40A2A6-39C7-41AF-A793-FE9CA77A8247.thumb.jpeg.b0aab5ed4b6a4372fc2ce57feb3ea420.jpeg

I knocked this up as a demonstrator. As Dave says the panels become the roof. This could have been a finished article and the gaps would then have been closed with black CT1 and some powder coated aluminium T sections. 

They're Vision 325's also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Lots of useful advice.

I hope to site it about 75cm away from the ASHP. On the same string as the ones above with a slight incline. Not sure if going for the landscape orientation will make it too close to the ASHP. Going for a

structure that starts around where the green bin is will allow that but then a bit more shade will be the compromise. Current garage array is oriented about 145 degrees south east.

Will be getting someone qualified to connect it all up but was hoping my OH can put up the structure and the panels to save a bit of expense.

IMG_9076.jpeg

Edited by Seren161

What's the dimensions of the existing roof, the existing panels, and the new panels?

The roof utilisation of the existing panels is very poor, i am thinking instead to re mount the existing panels in portrait orientation, that would make the bottom one overhang the bottom of the existing roof, onto the extension to the roof, and I am then wondering if doing so would free up enough space on the roof for the new panels also portrait orientation and also overhanging onto the lean too extension.

Mu gut feeling is by re configuring to make better use of the existing roof, the extension lean to of the roof would not need to be be very big.