KORE perimeter upstand

Mr Blobby

Unlike TF construction, for cavity masonry foundations KORE recommend the perimeter upstand be removed thus:

image.png.93d19c33a5257f546593dd0490920113.png

... which is fine, except it is realy messy and time consuming. 

Given the EPS is below ground level then why can't it remain in place?   

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Unlike TF construction, for cavity masonry foundations KORE recommend the perimeter upstand be removed thus:

image.png.93d19c33a5257f546593dd0490920113.png

... which is fine, except it is realy messy and time consuming. 

Could it be to allow water run off away from the structure and not under it? Hope you're taking lots of pics, be nice to see

6 hours ago, JackofAll said:

Could it be to allow water run off away from the structure and not under it? Hope you're taking lots of pics, be nice to see

Fair point, and I reckon this is the reason why.

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

+1. speak to Kore and/or your SE

I emailed KORE this morning, but not not heard back from them yet. 

KORE customer service have actually been very good.  Some of the foundation was actually cut wrong, and after some head scratching on site KORE accepted the error and recut and couriered up new peices.  Which was pretty good if a little stressful.  I guess being 2 hours drive from Cavan helped.

Two chaps from KORE also visited the site last week to show a prospect round, which I was quite happy about, as it gave us time to ask lots of questions and they were really helpful.  We asked them about this perimeter and were advised to cut a horizontal line not too far down and remove the top part. 

KORE also advised to remove it before the concrete had set too much because then it is a bugger to remove.  He was not wrong but darling wife had a birthday last weekend, when Sunday would have been the optimal day for the perimeter upstand to come off. 

6 hours ago, JackofAll said:

Hope you're taking lots of pics, be nice to see

Here's some pics.  It was sunny all week, which nnever happens in Northern Ireland.  Maybe the big church on the other side of the road did some miracle stuff.

foundation-0.thumb.jpg.7195c2bb044e273a84bceae7bce1650b.jpgfoundation-1.thumb.jpg.c73c95891f71bfc80db73b3175d62074.jpgfoundation-2.thumb.jpg.a3e77370fecb293cbba2162da8b56d8c.jpgfoundation-3.thumb.jpg.0bdb71c93dac06f2bbc700018c969d2e.jpg

... and here's that upstand...

upstand-removal.thumb.jpg.40ec034bf11125dc37a1db9b29859e17.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

He was not wrong, but darling wife had a birthday last weekend, when Sunday would have been the optimal day for the perimeter upstand to come off. 

couldn't think of a better birthday present that a day on-site working!

14 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Fair point, and I reckon this is the reason why.

I emailed KORE this morning, but not not heard back from them yet. 

KORE customer service have actually been very good.  Some of the foundation was actually cut wrong, and after some head scratching on site KORE accepted the error and recut and couriered up new peices.  Which was pretty good if a little stressful.  I guess being 2 hours drive from Cavan helped.

Two chaps from KORE also visited the site last week to show a prospect round, which I was quite happy about, as it gave us time to ask lots of questions and they were really helpful.  We asked them about this perimeter and were advised to cut a horizontal line not too far down and remove the top part. 

KORE also advised to remove it before the concrete had set too much because then it is a bugger to remove.  He was not wrong but darling wife had a birthday last weekend, when Sunday would have been the optimal day for the perimeter upstand to come off. 

Here's some pics.  It was sunny all week, which nnever happens in Northern Ireland.  Maybe the big church on the other side of the road did some miracle stuff.

foundation-0.thumb.jpg.7195c2bb044e273a84bceae7bce1650b.jpgfoundation-1.thumb.jpg.c73c95891f71bfc80db73b3175d62074.jpgfoundation-2.thumb.jpg.a3e77370fecb293cbba2162da8b56d8c.jpgfoundation-3.thumb.jpg.0bdb71c93dac06f2bbc700018c969d2e.jpg

... and here's that upstand...

upstand-removal.thumb.jpg.40ec034bf11125dc37a1db9b29859e17.jpg

Great to see some pics, think you were right re the church and the weather, you were blessed. Thanks for heads up on the upstand, messy business.

On 27/04/2023 at 10:21, Mr Blobby said:

I would check with your SE because.. and lets assume the inner leaf of masonry is load bearing. It looks like that is working as a raft, hence the A393 mesh top and bottom. Often the EPS alone is not able to resist the concentrated load at the edge of the slab so you use the slab to resist some of the loads (common in raft design) and this means the top rebar in the slab is in tension. But for the rebar to work it needs to be anchored at the ends properly.

To get the rebar anchorage you can either bend the mesh down at the ends (can be hard to do, fiddly or needs special detailing) or extend the slab. Hence KORE's recommendation. But if you extend the slab you start to lose the benefit of the perimeter insulation.

Speak to your SE before progressing as this is very important! But well done you for spotting this what seems to be a minor change.. but could have serious implications.

Edited by Gus Potter

On 29/04/2023 at 09:35, Iceverge said:

What was the reason for removing the upstand? What harm was it doing? 

Exactly.  I can't see what harm it is doing, but KORE and the SE recommend it is removed.  Why?  I think to allow water runoff, but I've not heard from SE or KORE any reason why it should be removed.

Taking their advice at face value, the top two thirds of EPS upstand is now in the skip.  The next question now is, do I water proof it?  The minimum is that the DPM will cover it, but is that enough?  The site has good drainage and priming and tanking it will not be a small task 😩

Edited by Mr Blobby