Architects, self-build involvement, roles and responsibilities

we got the architect to do the drawings, he failed at 2 apps so we parted ways as he was refusing some things the planners wanted saying they weren't necessary (ground survey).

I just got an SE, got them done along with tree, bat, small furry animal surveys, resubmitted and passed.

I did make sure I had permission to use the drawings.

Since then I've gone back to the arch to get the BC plans.

But now we are doing everything ourselves.

Well our foundation and steels were mm perfect to fit the kit. The kit erection team told me it’s rare and they reckon it’s gained them a day as normally they’d be adjusting everything to fit. They have a guy welding the steels up on another job at the moment. The only dimension issue they’ve had is with one of the panels which was easy enough to fix. 

Edited by Kelvin

On 13/04/2023 at 11:36, Drellingore said:

It's the bit in the middle of that spectrum that I'm curious about. I think we want to have (quite a bit of) input into the design, manage procurement of contracts and materials, project manage, and occasionally get involved in unskilled manual labour.

I'm about to have this conversation with my architect (assuming planning is granted).

They've been involved from the start up to the planning application (via interim Class Q) and I'm debating how to address the rest of the project. I'm inclined not to engage them for full Stage 4, since I aim to use a timber frame company that will provide engineering and detailing for the shell. I think they also outsource the 'services' bit (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) so I may not use them for that either. However, the detailing of external junctions (roofing, cladding, rainwater goods, windows and doors) is something they may be able to provide. I (currently) have a good relationship with her and can report back on my findings if you'd like.

• Thanks 1