Before I buy PHPP

First, sorry for cross posting on GBF, but I wanted a wider opinion...

Anyone know of any ways to make PHPP more affordable for a self-renovator like myself? Either some sort of discount, or maybe a way of making it better value (e.g. combination with a course or something)...?

I guess PHPP isn't required, as I'm not renovating to Ph standards. However I am aiming for something decent, maybe AECB Silver type level (but still not certified), so I want something accurate for that type of house.

I think I need PHPP because:

- It's accurate for low energy houses

- It does overheating analysis
- You can model incremental retrofit
- It copes with complicated house shapes (downstairs different shape to upstairs with lean-tos)

So I'm willing to be persuaded some other way.

I am intending to iterate between PHPP, Sketchup and my bank manager (!) as we decide what nice-to-haves should stay and what should go from our "ideal" house design.

Edited by gravelld

42 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Secondhand? Post a want in Marketplace.

Or can you set yourself up to fit in the trial period?

Don't think there's a trial period is there - just a demo version which is pretty crippled (I've tried it).

Also... doubt it can be re-sold (might be wrong).

Ever thought about just trying the free demo version?  It's a good way to get to grips with the way PHPP works, without spending anything.

Edited to add:  Sorry, we cross posted.  PM me for the older, (2007) non-crippled, demo version.  I can email it to you, but last time I tried to attach it here there were some problems, I think.

It's also worth looking at the model that the Canadian government publish as a free download, HOT2000.  I played around with it and thought it was pretty good.  Easier to use than PHPP, and there are reasonably good instructions available.  I don't have a link to it here on this machine, but probably do on the machine at home, so if you're interested I could have a look and post it up here.

Edited by JSHarris

Guest Alphonsox

It's worth asking yourself what questions you want answered and whether PHPP is a cost effective method of getting those answers. I decided that the cost just wasn't justified given that I have no intention of registering the build. 

I took a look at Hot2000 after Tony Cowling suggested using it (he used it and other tools for his build). It didn't look to cover all areas quite as well, and there's some stuff I've read about its accuracy...

I believe there's a Hot3000 also? Or there was at some point...

I also used the SAP tool that used to be available at emoncms, that's disappeared now though. My understanding is that SAP ain't much cop at low(er) energy houses.

There's also your homebrew spreadsheet Jeremy! I suppose modelling incremental stages can always be done with multiple copies of the spreadsheet.