Any joiners who can explain how this door is made?

saveasteading

Doors going in now. This style appears ubiquitous at present. All seem to be made in US  using American oak veneer.

The quality is very high and it appears to be quite a thick veneer  and to be made of veneer strips not the usual moulded method.

I was surprised to see such distinct grain, and the mirror effect resulting from splitting a timber and folding them back.

Anybody know how these are made? Are they going to a lot of trouble to create this effect or is it just the way the veneers come off a pile?IMG-20230406-WA0000.thumb.jpg.203aeb76f2087f4e7b50ee72d9e2909d.jpg

Some of the veneers have been 'bookmatched' - sequential slices from the log are reversed and appear almost mirror images when next to each other. It looks like each (100mm-ish wide) board has been veneered separately. If the log is cut to 100mm wide prior to having the veneers sliced, one can create many bookmatched pairs. Certainly more effort than randomly cut veneers, but like many bulk processes the additional costs to set it up can be defrayed over many doors.

• Like 1

Bookmatched. A new term for me.

The backs of violins are done like this, I think mostly to get acoustic symmetry.

Also wall panelling or marble tiling in very expensive fit-outs.

I was surprised to see a £90 door with it. The veneer seems to be about 4 to 5mm thick...again a surprise.

When the rest of the doors go in, we will see if the bookmatching is standard or by chance.

14 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Doors going in now. This style appears ubiquitous at present. All seem to be made in US  using American oak veneer.

The quality is very high and it appears to be quite a thick veneer  and to be made of veneer strips not the usual moulded method.

IMG-20230406-WA0000.thumb.jpg.203aeb76f2087f4e7b50ee72d9e2909d.jpg

Who are these doors from? That level of quality is very nice to have and it sounds like the price point is right.

14 hours ago, Furnace said:

Here's a credenza I made for my daughter. It's solid, not veneered, (cos she's special) but has bookmatched doors and back panel.

cred.thumb.jpg.c3574331b995f0b0c5734868eee87054.jpg

Lovely work @Furnace she is a very lucky daughter! Am hiding this picture from my wife because she will want it :D

46 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The veneer seems to be about 4 to 5mm thick

Can you see the door's construction a and veneer thickness by looking at the top or bottom of the door, or is that veneered too? 90 quid sounds v cheap for a door of that standard 

All ours are like that: the answer to the question immediately above is that they are stocked in our nearest BM(s), and 

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

... Are they going to a lot of trouble to create this effect or is it just the way the veneers come off a pile?

nope, its the way they come off the delivery lorry.

Don't worry, me coat's already on ... have a good Easter.

I bought a load of the Deanta Ely doors which are the same look. The veneer is thick on sides and top/bottom to allow for trimming, but it is thin on the front and back over the engineered core.

We cut a door up to make a custom short one for an understairs cupboard so it was very clear how they are constructed.

• Like 1