Venetian blinds - where should they stop?

puntloos

Just above (~10mm) the cill. They will move in the wind, so will make a noise and rub either blinds or cill, or both, if they are allowed to contact,

They seem very close to the glazing. What sort of gap are you leaving.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IanR said:

Just above (~10mm) the cill. They will move in the wind, so will make a noise and rub either blinds or cill, or both, if they are allowed to contact,

They seem very close to the glazing. What sort of gap are you leaving.

Great questions, I think in this case the blinds do have a track so I don't think they need a lot of space, but I'll inquire. 

Mine have a track each end, and have a 50mm gap to the window frame. The thicker bar at the bottom won't bend in the wind but the slats do. My 5m wide blinds will visibly bow inwards. If you've got the tensioned intermediate wires for the blinds to run up and down on I believe these move a lot less.

34 minutes ago, IanR said:

Mine have a track each end, and have a 50mm gap to the window frame. The thicker bar at the bottom won't bend in the wind but the slats do. My 5m wide blinds will visibly bow inwards. If you've got the tensioned intermediate wires for the blinds to run up and down on I believe these move a lot less.

They are huge though, 5m wide is a lot, but if you can really see them bend it sounds like in my case, with 2.5m wide max window, I should be okay with say 25mm gap or something..

External Venetians? The guide rail will have a stopper at bottom at a fixed place (most likely). If you want them lower, you can reposition but you’ll likely need to reset (train) the new position and may not have required slats to go further.

Basically put, the stop position is predetermined.

Edited by craig

1 hour ago, craig said:

External Venetians? The guide rail will have a stopper at bottom at a fixed place (most likely). If you want them lower, you can reposition but you’ll likely need to reset (train) the new position and may not have required slats to go further.

Basically put, the stop position is predetermined.

I guess given the question from the builder the particular type we went for doesnt have this? 

I would prefer them to rest on the sill, if possible. That could be with a rubber or brush strip to avoid chafing. This will provide a better seal, and is  likely to cause the joints to close, thus strengthening it against wind.

Also, some blknds have small holes at the joints, for dappled light, and onlh close up when fully lowered.

I suspect some of this is not a matter of choice...what do the instructions say?