What is a typical import amount when the battery + solar should have everything covered? My rate seems high.

MrTWales

24 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

guess it's not too bad but it still annoys me a little more than it should.

How many small loads get switched on and off daily?

The controller probably cannot cope with them.

Much of the time my base load, which is a bit of a nonsense term, is zero, which in reality is just the meter not coping with a 3W like lightbulb, untill it has been on 20 minutes.

Get rid of most of the parasitic loads, then work on the heavy stuff.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

What you are not picking them up on case usage in the unit xD or did I miss it somewhere?

I am sure a script could be written that auto corrects most of them.

Run it through the FMG's new friend, ChatGPT, and see what nonsense comes out.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Run it through the FMG's new friend, ChatGPT, and see what nonsense comes out.

Good idea and it will mostly be nonsense. BTW the FMG no longer exists it was subsumed into the OMC when BH became a Limited Company. I guess, however, that you are referring to the Moderators who have used chatGPT in several places to get us out of possibly litigious situations with people posting copyright material - no names no pack drill! 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Tell them to hunt me down. 

Then I can use the arguement about selling knowledge.

Who is 'them' and that old chestnut - knowledge was never free, you always needed to earn it and then you can decide to either sell it or give it away! Lets get back on topic!

Flux is absolutely worth going on, been on it a week, and the last week's electric bill is minus £18, which almost covers my gas bill 😁

I have a Victron Quattro, grid set point is 0 (unless I'm force discharging), but it fluctuates a little bit either way.

Edited by Ronski
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ronski said:

Flux is absolutely worth going on, been on it a week, and the last week's electric bill is minus £18, which almost covers my gas bill 😁

I have a Victron Quattro, grid set point is 0 (unless I'm force discharging), but it fluctuates a little bit either way.

This is Octpus Flux? I was only aware of this a day or so ago and I can't see any reason not change. I guess it's way worse in winter, but even then with a decent battery it should be OK?

16 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

It could get rather expensive in winter without a Battery, the ability to charge at cheap times and use that energy to avoid peak periods would be priceless in the depths of winter

Yes for sure, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that much worse anyway in the winter if you want to consider a whole year. 

In my case I have 9.6Kwh of battery (9Kwh that I can use) so charging between 2am and 5am should leave enough for the next day and almost always should last until the end of the highest rate period. And this is without considering the generation in the day. 

There's also nothing to stop you switching away to a different winter tariff once the boosted export is no longer relevant, I need to do some calcs on cosy to see if it's worth having a summer/winter tariff split.

6 minutes ago, S2D2 said:

There's also nothing to stop you switching away to a different winter tariff once the boosted export is no longer relevant, I need to do some calcs on cosy to see if it's worth having a summer/winter tariff split.

Very true - as far as I can see the only cost in doing that is the hassle. I'm all in for it, but need to have some work done to fit the smart meter in the meter box and get the MSC cert from the damn installers first.

3 hours ago, S2D2 said:

Do Octopus really let you bounce between tariffs like this? Seems too easy to game their system.

9 hours ago, Radian said:

Do Octopus really let you bounce between tariffs like this? Seems too easy to game their system.

There's no exit fee so unless someone has been refused I don't think they'd have an issue with switching every six months. That may get more complicated soon as fixes start coming back in, I wasn't with octopus when they did them for the smart tariffs but I believe it was a one year fix?

Flux is probably the first test of this heavy seasonal skew and it still may not be worth switching depending on usage, so I don't think they'll be plagued with an annoying amount of customers switching often.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Radian said:

it seems they do, they switched me to Cosy same day in Dec'22 then same day again to Flux in Mar'23. All provided of course that you meet the somewhat onerous conditions, smart meter, proof/declaration of heat pump ownership/MCS cert (Cosy), proof/declaration of MCS, DNO certs, DNO letter, PV + Battery ownership (Flux)

Edited by PhilT
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2023 at 16:05, MrTWales said:

This is Octpus Flux? I was only aware of this a day or so ago and I can't see any reason not change. I guess it's way worse in winter, but even then with a decent battery it should be OK?

Yes, I have 14.5kWh at the moment, but that will soon be 29kWh of storage, so hopefully this will serve me well through winter without changing tariffs.

21 hours ago, Radian said:

Apparently from what I've heard you have to stay on a tariff for at least a month.

10 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

All well and good too if your smart meter plays ball. My SMETS2 meter stopped working 17th March and has never worked since. Raised with Octopus, but nothing fixed so far.

Good luck, when my SMETS1 meters stopped working last year, it took Octopus pretty much 22 weeks to get them replaced.

6 hours ago, PhilT said:

it seems they do, they switched me to Cosy same day in Dec'22 then same day again to Flux in Mar'23. All provided of course that you meet the somewhat onerous conditions, smart meter, proof/declaration of heat pump ownership/MCS cert (Cosy), proof/declaration of MCS, DNO certs, DNO letter, PV + Battery ownership (Flux)

A battery is not a requirement for Flux, you need less than 9kW of PV, MCS Cert, DNO paperwork and of course a smart meter.

Edited by Ronski
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ronski said:

A battery is not a requirement for Flux, you need less than 9kW of PV, MCS Cert, DNO paperwork and of course a smart meter.

"Storage" is a requirement via declaration only, so you can tell a fib about having a battery and not have to back it up with an independently verifiable key such as an MCS number

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this, the app says the following. I think the battery ran out a couple of times with the biggest two spikes but they are the only times I think, though it must have been close on other days.

According to the actual meter readings, the draw was 7.9 kWh for May so 0.26 on average per day.  So it looks like the app slightly overstates this and overall, based on what others have said, this doesn't look like a bad result. 

image.png.dcb490a22b2be99104c02317415593a0.png

14 hours ago, MrTWales said:

Just to add to this, the app says the following. I think the battery ran out a couple of times with the biggest two spikes but they are the only times I think, though it must have been close on other days.

According to the actual meter readings, the draw was 7.9 kWh for May so 0.26 on average per day.  So it looks like the app slightly overstates this and overall, based on what others have said, this doesn't look like a bad result. 

image.png.dcb490a22b2be99104c02317415593a0.png

This is just your net imported energy. The huge solar and battery capacity you have relative to your tiny base consumption of only a few kWh per day (excluding those times when you ran your immersion heater) means that on most days your net imported energy is probably just inverter inefficiencies

On 01/05/2023 at 11:29, PhilT said:

This is just your net imported energy. The huge solar and battery capacity you have relative to your tiny base consumption of only a few kWh per day (excluding those times when you ran your immersion heater) means that on most days your net imported energy is probably just inverter inefficiencies

I'm taking it as a quirk that users can't really do anything about.  When you say "net imported energy", this just means the total imported in a day? The energy to grid stat really is annoying, so I'm hoping to get on something like the Octpus Plex tarrif when I can as there would be a decent net export for some months. Our average consumption is around 10kWh a day, but would be more now due to the immersion heater. 

image.png.b4b42e4618f6933229867374336c99ad.png