Fitting insect mesh with board on board cladding

eandg

Hi, starting to batten for board on board larch cladding tomorrow and hit on a bit of an unforeseen issue. I had intended to fit insect mesh as per the video below (from 50 seconds in), with 100mm mesh lapped over my counterbattens. Boards are 150mm wide, 22mm deep with 90mm gaps between back boards. This would mean that there's a gap between the batten and the top board for insects to get in. Any advice for how to deal with?

I can tell you how we did it, though I'm not going to claim it's the best way.

We cut small strips of mesh equal to the width of the gap. Staple one end to the underneath board, then bend the other end round so it forms a sort of roll or cylinder. When the top board gets placed over this it compressed it a bit to fill the gap. Pretty faffy, but we couldn't think of an alternative. It seems to work so far.

13 hours ago, jamieled said:

I can tell you how we did it, though I'm not going to claim it's the best way.

We cut small strips of mesh equal to the width of the gap. Staple one end to the underneath board, then bend the other end round so it forms a sort of roll or cylinder. When the top board gets placed over this it compressed it a bit to fill the gap. Pretty faffy, but we couldn't think of an alternative. It seems to work so far.

Thanks Jamie - sounds like bodging the gap is about the best you can do. Will follow your advice so lets hope it works!

I am planning on using perforated angle strips, the vertical batten holds the strip in place, and the bottom ( perforated section). Covers the batten, counter batten and bottom board, (25 +25+ 22) so an 80mm wide angle will cover all the gaps, you may see a small amount of this trim on the bottom boards. But it will be neat and no faff.

Trim

Edited by Jenki
Link added