Can I get the detailed BC submissions for our current property from building control?

Alan Ambrose

Interesting because I am buying a cottage that had a lot of work done a few years ago, planning info was available on line but not BR, I asked the council if it was available and told no, because material changes could have been agreed with the BCO on site during inspections..

Yeah I didn’t think the building control drawings are uploaded to the portal. Our warrant drawings certainly aren’t nor were they for the previous house as I was similarly interested in the wall and floor build up. 

No.

The only drawings/documents Building Control have are those which have been approved and since changes do occur on site there is no guarantee that the approved drawings accurately reflect what was built on site.

If however you want a copy of any approved drawings that Building Control have you will need the written consent of the copyright owner before your request will be entertained plus if you do get consent you will need to pay a fee for each drawing.

Well it would be a great help in 'protecting the building fabric of the nation' if this information was made public where held by BC.

I've just found that, in our barn conversion 1850/2017, that there's a non-insulated void of about 15cm under our plasterboard. WTF. I have an old doc from the structural guy involved in the 2017 conversion that was in the legal pack and contains some wall & roof buildup. But it would be more than helpful to know the stack up in more detail.

I've been struck over the last few years that we normally buy houses in the UK largely without having the faintest clue how they were put together. Seems to me we're buying the look and feel of a house rather than an actual structure.

Edited by Alan Ambrose

7 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Seems to me we're buying the look and feel of a house rather than an actual structure.

+1, and little notice taken of the EPC. Mind you the EPC on my new purchase is wrong!, assumptions made on a 200 year old cottage (no insulation) but plans on the council site from the planning permission show greatly upgraded insulation. 👍

Yeah the EPC guys, who are often crazy cheap, just put  'assumed' if they can't be bothered or simply can't find out. They often won't even bother to ask the owner whether they know or have any docs. Even the floor area is usually way out and that should be easy.

I leaned on the guy who re-did the EPC for my mother's flat and told him he would need to explain to me why in detail, since there had been no change to the building, if he didn't come up with the same EPC rating (B) than the one that had just run out. Actually, he did extra work to locate the info as he was a good guy.

My EPC is E right now for a building that had a frame up re-build in 2017. How is that even possible given BC regs? Well: Walls (assumed), Floor (assumed). Yeah, that'll do it.

• Sad 1